Android Question Accessing GoPro cam from internet using android phone

rzv25

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,

I know some models of GoPro cameras start their own Wifi network allowing devices in their network to see camera footage by accessing a http address. Supposing I connect an Android phone with 4g data enabled to the goPro's wifi and supposing I know the IP of the phone provided by the carrier, is there any simple way to access the camera footage from internet? Something as simple as accessing a http link starting with the IP of the phone slash some subdomain ?
As far as I know, when a phone connects to wifi, 4G is automatically switched off and data traffic is routed to wifi. I guess I would need to have them both enabled and implement some routing algorithm?

Can anyone help me with these questions ?

Thank you

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

rzv25

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you Erel for the quick reply.

I want to use the Android phone in the car, so it should be connected to internet through the 4G and not through a wifi local network. It's true that it should be part of the GoPro's wifi network in order to control it, but this does not provide a internet connection.
So I need clarifications on 2 aspects:
1. can the Android phone be connected to the internet through 4G connection while in the same time being part of the GoPro's wifi network, or they are designed to be mutually exclusive in the Android OS
2. If response for Q1 is true, how can I forward requests coming from internet to the GoPro and back from GoPro to the internet requester ?

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If you can set the go pro camera to be part of your own WiFi network (ie: the phone so mode) then you could from an app create a pass-through channel using streams

Upvote 0

rzv25

Licensed User
Longtime User
If you can set the go pro camera to be part of your own WiFi network (ie: the phone so mode) then you could from an app create a pass-through channel using streams
The GoPro cannot connect to a Wifi network :( Instead, it starts it's own Wifi and the controlling device (phone, GoPro remote, etc) needs to connect to GoPro's wifi. This means that the phone cannot access internet through wifi, it will need to access it through the 4G connection.

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
How about using a pi-zero(w) along with an esp?
The pi would behave as a client to the camera, serialising the received page, and the sending it out through the esp

Upvote 0

rzv25

Licensed User
Longtime User
How about using a pi-zero(w) along with an esp?
The pi would behave as a client to the camera, serialising the received page, and the sending it out through the esp
Thank you very much for the quick answer
Just searched esp, because I didn't know the term and found out it's 'email service provider' and I am not sure this is what you had in mind. So I don't understand how the information from goPro will get to internet over the pi-zero(w). Also, I am not very enthusiastic about adding one more device in the system, especially that I am not a Linux expert and the rpi would probably have to run Linux

Upvote 0

MaFu

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you very much for the quick answer
Just searched esp, because I didn't know the term and found out it's 'email service provider' and I am not sure this is what you had in mind. So I don't understand how the information from goPro will get to internet over the pi-zero(w). Also, I am not very enthusiastic about adding one more device in the system, especially that I am not a Linux expert and the rpi would probably have to run Linux
esp = esp8266

Upvote 0

rzv25

Licensed User
Longtime User

Stupid me, thank you MaFu for the clarification. Now I understand how the system would work, but I am still not very happy with the idea. Afaik, the esp would be connected to the rpi trough a serial connection and I have doubts about the transfer speed.

Changing a bit the subject, I've just got to a post which for somebody's question about internet availability while connected to GoPro wifi states that: 'As a workaround, you should keep cellular data activated on the phone. Then the Wi-Fi will be connected to the camera signal but you'll still be able access the internet via the phone's data plan'. So seems that answer for my question #1 is 'yes'
Now I would need to find out what app should I write on the phone, to answer my question 2.
For a little more clarification, here's how I would see the whole system working:
- user accesses a webpage from anywhere in the world. This webpage is stored on the Android phone, so Android phone should run a webserver.
- the main page displays a list with names of all pics and movies residing on the GoPro
- user clicks one movie or pic name and the image or the movie is displayed in the web page

Also, there should be a way for the user to see in the webpage the current stream the GoPro is filming.

Upvote 0