B4J Question Advice sought on how to get started Getting Started ....

KiloBravo

Licensed User
So... I have been working with B4R for a while and wanted to start writing a translational reality interface. I was hoping if I describe what I want to do somebody could point me in the right direction. This is strictly a hobby for me and like most folks I don't have a lot of time outside of work and family life to work on hobbies. If someone could point me down the right path it would be greatly appreciated.

I have a mobile platform (wheeled robot) that I built with an eps8266 and various (Microchip PIC) chips for sensors, motors, etc... Right now I can control it over a tcp/ip or udp connection between two esp8266 boards. It can send and receive information over the wifi link. That all works fine.

What I would like to do next is map out my yard or any area with a 2D coordinate system (x,y) and be able to click, point, or enter a coordinate on the map and have the robot move to that location. I am thinking B4J on a server connected to the network in my house would be best to start with. Then eventually, reusing as much code as possible, move to a tablet or mobile phone version later with B4A.

My thought was to have one or several bit map images overlay an x,y coordinate system. I would display that in an app or browser. The robot would start from a home location (0,0) or anywhere else on the coordinate system and then move to a different coordinate on the map. The coordinates could be selected or entered into the user app. Ideally it would be nice to be able to record the movements or program the coordinates in and have the robot follow them. (Think cutting my grass.) I have been working with B4R for a while and I have hacked up somebody else's code from this site in a B4J console app. But I don't have any experience with writing a GUI (XUI?). So I am not sure on how to display (in an APP or GUI) the data that I can send and receive between the two to accomplish what I want.

Any advice or links to posts on something similar or even the suggested order of B4X tutorials to reach my end goal would be appreciated.

Thanks !

EnriqueGonzalez

Licensed User
Longtime User
i dont know if this is your so called right path. but i once created a croquis with an image on the background and on overlays made with SimpleGameEngine.

My solution did not have any point of reference nor it had scale (pixels to meters ratio) but if you can figure those too, you could control your machine as if you were controling the player on the SGE

Upvote 0

EnriqueGonzalez

Licensed User
Longtime User
Sorry i just see that i forgot the link to the library

Upvote 0