Alarm App - Powering on - waking from sleep

QRT

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have been writing an alarm app in order to learn B4A.

Using StartServiceAt to schedule the main module to sound an alarm and show the user the reason for the alarm.

I have been using the emulator (slow, but excellent) - all is good!

Having got a pretty good functional app, I have used the bridge to load it onto my HTC Desire - it works brilliantly, until I switch off the phone using its mechanical on/off button (the way I do it 50 times a day) - with the phone off, the alarm doesn't sound (until I switch it on with with its mechanical on/off button).

I'm beginning to fear that it is impossible to wake the phone from software (I found one response on the forum "It is not possible to turn the screen on programmatically.")

Obviously, other software does wake the phone (eg the calendar and software like 'Tasker').

Is it impossble to wake the phone using B4A? If so, doesn't this prevent any 'alarm type' app from functioning in reality? I'm hoping I'm missing something obvious!

I have been really impressed with B4A - the whole development system is great - well done!

Best wishes QRT

QRT

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm stupid - I had supressed the notification's sound and vibration, because I wanted to control the sound volume and the vibration duration. However, because the module was paused by the on/off button on the phone, my sound+vibration was not played (until I switched the phone on). Dohhh!

Many thanks for your rapid help. Everything about B4A impresses me - been using the bridge recently - excellent.

Keep up the good work.

Upvote 0