Wish Allow use of #ExcludeFromDebugger for Rapid Debugging

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The new Rapid debugger is awesome.

However, it does slow down things noticably from the legacy debugger.

Many times I need to perform/run a sequence of routines to prep the app for a section of code that I am debugging, and these "prep" routines can take a lot of time to execute in rapid mode, making it impracticle to take advantages of the capabilities that rapid debugging offers for the part of code I am interested in.

Being able to tell the rapid debugger to skip over certain routines so they will run faster would help overcome this problem.

rboeck

Licensed User
Longtime User
In Powerbasic there is a metacommand #Debug code on and off; what i would need is more information of the current state of debugging: my app uses database operations and the app needs about 30 sec. to come to the debugging situation; currently i planned to make a sound signal in activity_resume to signal, that my work is starting.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
For now you can compile the "slow" modules to a library and then reference the library instead of the code module.

It is not simple to skip over some of the code with the rapid debugger (unlike the legacy debugger) as there is no code running on the device. All the code is actually executed in the debugger engine which runs on the desktop.

westingenieria

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel, why do you sugguest create an library to big module ?, maybe in native is more rapid that in basic ?
thanks in advanced!!

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My suggestion was to compile the large modules to a library from B4A. It not related to Java vs. B4A.

However this is an old thread and this suggestion is no longer relevant as the rapid debugger automatically does it anyway.

Hi Erel,

I don't quite understand... what do you mean by "the rapid debugger automatically does it anyway"?

My original post was to figure out a way to run the code before [the section of code I am debugging] as fast as possible so I can get to the section of code that I am troubleshooting as quickly as possible.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I was referring post #4. However since v3.50 the rapid debugger precompiles the code so the performance of the app in debug mode should be in most cases similar to release mode.

If it runs slow then clean the project with Tools - Clean project and remove all breakpoints. This will force the debugger to precompile the code.

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Understood - thanks for the info.