an idea on the possible future of B4A/B4I

netkomm

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel, folks,

I have an idea I would like to let out so that Erel could see if it's feasible...

There are tools around (Livecode/VisualStudio 2015/etc) which allow a single project to be deployed automatically on all platforms.

Why not to have a single "core" where is possible to create apps for Andoid / iOS / Windows at the same time? (Sure there is all the issues with native controllers... but there is always a workaround ;) )

To fund such project I believe Erel could leverage on Kickstarter (like Livecode did) but ultimately this would be the definitive tool to use to create apps for mobile... using "Basic".

What do you think about this?

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The problem here is that you need to rely on different things.

Java is one thing but that Android SDK is another one.

stuff like FreeBASIC can port to windows GUI/Console, Linux and even XBox I believe but that stuff barely changes compared to Android that constantly adds new stuff.
Not to mention all the differences between Android/IOS/Win which leads to additional/missing commands or properties for one or the other.

netkomm

Licensed User
Longtime User
Livecode already compiles for iOS and Android from the same exact code.... the killer app should include also Windows.

Sure you have to compromise... but in the background it could generate the source code to compile like B4A and B4I are already doing now while we users should have a more abstract approach to the app like with Phonegap where certain features are available based on the platform you deploy for.

but to have a tool that compiles for all 3 platforms from the same source would be a definite winner.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Indeed, I agree on that.

But phoneGap exports to a package wrapped html5 file or something which makes things a lot easier and transparent.

I think WinDev does most of what you want but it's a bit pricy and you need 2 licenses to cover regular & mobile so that will go near $3000 I guess.

abhishek007p

Licensed User
Longtime User
The strong part of b4x ide is that it makes native apps, its output is same as eclipse and xcode, adding another layer would only complicate things and make the apps slower.

The next big thing in b4x can be to import lib directly without a wrapper, so we will be able to use any available libs.

But erel will be able to answer these questions better.

Last edited:

susu

Licensed User
Longtime User
The next big thing in b4x can be to import lib directly without a wrapper, so we will be able to is any available libs.
Yes, I want that too, nothing more!

wimpie3

Licensed User
Longtime User
Using #additionaljar still requires a lot of work... I agree it would be totally cool if you could just drag & drop a standard lib from github and use it, but I'm afraid this sounds easier than it is.

There are lots of really amazing libs out there... but on the other hand, the more libs you use, the more problems you'll run into if you want to convert you app to B4i!