Android Question Android App Bundle-Stumble Block [Solved]

Shelby

Licensed User
I can't understand how I can disregard the warning (shown below) about the App Bundle recommended by the Google Play Console's requirements. I realize how Erel has suggested for us to ignore the warning but when I exit out of that warning, I don't have the ability to click the Button: Start rollout to internal test. I'm stuck at this point after jumping through all of the hoops I can see including many of those suggestions on the left side of the Google Play console such as....: store listing, content rating, app content, pricing & distribution and so on. I just want to start my internal testing with the three friends who have agreed to let the console have those friends' gmail addresses. Other friends don't want to let their email addresses be available for who knows what. Does anybody have a suggestion?

1 message
1 message for APK 22

Unoptimized APK
Warning:

This APK results in unused code and resources being sent to users. Your app could be smaller if you used the Android App Bundle. By not optimizing your app for device configurations, your app is larger to download and install on users' devices than it needs to be. Larger apps see lower install success rates and take up storage on users' devices.

Resolution:

Use the Android App Bundle to automatically optimize for device configurations, or manage it yourself with multiple APKs.

My huge APK is 190 kB

Last edited:

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I can't understand how I can disregard the warning (shown below) about the App Bundle recommended by the Google Play Console's requirements. I realize how Erel has recommended for us to ignore the warning but when I exit out of that warning, I don't have the ability to click the Button
This means that there is a different real problem. Probably one of the required fields is empty.

The unoptimized warning doesn't have any real meaning and will not prevent you from submitting the app.

Upvote 0

Shelby

Licensed User
OK, Thanks
One of those empty fields is dealing with an instant-enabled Android App Bundle. I'm trying to upload a zip file of my app to the console but I'm not understanding how to make such an instant-enabled Android App Bundle. I tried to add:

B4X:
<manifest ... xmlns:dist="http://schemas.android.com/apk/distribution">
    <dist:module dist:instant="true" />
</manifest>

to my manifest as suggested by: https://developer.android.com/topic/google-play-instant/getting-started/instant-enabled-app-bundle

But that screws up the working of my app.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Shelby

Licensed User
Noticed this morning, I had tricked myself and signed up for instant-enabled ......Bundle. Now backing out of the group using "App Bundle".

Upvote 0

Shelby

Licensed User
I can't believe that there are 15 fields on the Google Play console that I must navigate through for this publicizing of my free tiny simple app. Some of the fields are so misleading causing me to wonder if I should ignore them or not.
https://play.google.com/apps/publis...:p=b4a.AreaCalc10_2&appid=4975976131726696660
I'm on the page to "Start Rollout To Production" but I can't get rid of the following warning message:

1 message
1 message for APK 22

Unoptimized APK
Warning:

This APK results in unused code and resources being sent to users. Your app could be smaller if you used the Android App Bundle. By not optimizing your app for device configurations, your app is larger to download and install on users' devices than it needs to be. Larger apps see lower install success rates and take up storage on users' devices.

Resolution:

Use the Android App Bundle to automatically optimize for device configurations, or manage it yourself with multiple APKs.

I don't want the Android App Bundle. My app is super small.
Hasn't someone else navigated past this unwanted recommendation?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

techknight

Licensed User
Longtime User
Just an FYI, your free tiny simple app, does it have functionality? is it useful and contributes to user experience in any way?

Reason why I ask, is Google and Apple both will reject apps that dont really have any added functionality, and etc... its a very gray area.

Upvote 0

Shelby

Licensed User
Yes, it's somewhat functional. It's a room area calculator. The user enters the width and length of a room. When she or he clicks the calculate button and the next room button, the result is displayed and the total area of the building is displayed as a running total as well. Thanks for the tip just in case.
I'm a burned-out building contractor. There may be a hundred of these area calculators out there but I thought I'd get a start somewhere.

Ha ha! Just checked the next day and there are at least 250 of these calculators on Google Play. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't want the Android App Bundle. My app is super small.
Hasn't someone else navigated past this unwanted recommendation?
You will need to believe me that this warning is:
1. Not correct.
2. Doesn't have any effect on your app submission.

Just ignore it.

If you can't submit then there is a different problem.

Upvote 0

Shelby

Licensed User
OK, Still trying.
Thanks, Erel
I get the feeling I must start over.....

Edit: Nope, no need to start over. I found that the app content field (whether or not I'm trying to influence little kids, etc) was not filled in. As Erel was suggesting above I still didn't have a field completed in the console to activate the rollout (e.g. All applications>your application>Store presence>content rating). Yippee! I'm rolling out!
One major thing I learned here is that if one has inadvertently enrolled into the Google app bundle apparatus, she or he can back out of it and still successfully publicize one's app (in particular, their first app).
P.S. By the way, I also made (with my photoshop program) all the images of 4 or more different sizes that were called for, and uploaded them to the Google Play console; so that probably helped as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0