Android Emulation - Super-fast speed

Jim Brown

Licensed User
Longtime User
If you want a super-fast Android emulator running on your desktop, which complements B4a superbly I urge you to download GenyMotion

Whilst its still in beta (and you need to register to access the download) the emulation itself absolutely flys, thanks to being x86 as well as supporting OpenGL hardware!
The experience is like having a native Android hardware device living on the desktop. It connects with B4a easiliy without having to use B4a-Bridge too.

GenyMotion_s_zps82db5767.jpg

Last edited:

IanMc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you for sharing Jim!

As anyone knows, programming Android requires you to program a bit, test it, program another bit, test it... you need the patience of an angel :)

Anything that can shave a few seconds off that testing part is a godsend.

It was very giving and selfless of you to share your discovery.

Thank you!

Last edited:

derez

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Great ! real quick ! even with the big 1280x800 device.

Last edited:

melamoud

Licensed User
Longtime User
If you want a super-fast Android emulator running on your desktop, which complements B4a superbly I urge you to download GenyMotion

Whilst its still in beta (and you need to register to access the download) the emulation itself absolutely flys, thanks to being x86 as well as supporting OpenGL hardware!
The experience is like having a native Android hardware device living on the desktop. It connects with B4a easiliy without having to use B4a-Bridge too.

GenyMotion920e_zps6e886eaa.jpg

how do you integrate with b4a ?

thanks

Jim Brown

Licensed User
Longtime User
how do you integrate with b4a?
It was automatic for me. When the emulator is running B4A connects to it as though it was a real device plugged into the USB. The designer can connect too.

If you are having trouble connecting try these settings:
GenyMotion_Settings_zps8a87b1e3.png

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Just tried it, it's certainly fast. Connection via ADB seems intermittent for some reason (probably no more so than the emulator though), and you can use B4ABridge.

melamoud

Licensed User
Longtime User
for me when I try to run a device from genymotion, it open a screen and close it right away
when I run a device from the oracle virtualbox, it run ok,
but B4A does not connect (I have the same setting as you guys)

I also installed the bridge but the start wireless is not clickable

any idea ?

derez

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
it open a screen and close it right away
Mine did that, I re-installed Genymotion and it didn't happen any more. I connect through the designer when the device is ready.

DarkMann

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all,

Thanks for the pointer to this.

Good once I got it all working.

Took more than an hour of playing with settings to figure out how to get ADB to connect.

In Genymotion I had to set the HTTP proxy to the IP address of my machine - something about the way it was trying to bridge the Virtual network adapter. In my case set it to 192.168.0.1 and port 80 and all was fine from then on.

David

melamoud

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all,

Thanks for the pointer to this.

Good once I got it all working.

Took more than an hour of playing with settings to figure out how to get ADB to connect.

In Genymotion I had to set the HTTP proxy to the IP address of my machine - something about the way it was trying to bridge the Virtual network adapter. In my case set it to 192.168.0.1 and port 80 and all was fine from then on.

David

I tried to reinstall, I tried the proxy thing, nothing is working, I sent a question to the support , anyone any other idea ?

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
nice, very nice.

I would like to make the emulated phone/tablet to have an ip-address of my local lan so when playing around with sockets in my code, I can ping and connect to other devices in my LAN.

For instance, the emulated device has now been assigned an ip-address with a different ip-range i.e it has 192.168.56.101 while all connected devices in my LAN has the IP-range of 192.168.1.XXX. I tried to play around with the networking in the settings of Virtualbox to see if I could assign the emulated device with an IP-address of my LAN, for example 192.168.1.99 but I could not get it to work. Anyone who has managed to achieve what I am trying to do?

Last edited:

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If you set the network adaptor to Bridged mode then it should appear as a device on your network and should pick up an IP address by DHCP from your router. This will also let you use B4A-Bridge with it.

Edit:- For clarity. The Network mode is set in Virtualbox under Settings-> Network -> Attached to:

The Virtualbox help Chapter 6 has a quite a good detailed explanation of virtual networking.

Last edited:

myriaddev

Licensed User
Longtime User
How do I get "Google Play" onto the virtual device ?

I spent 3 hours trying to download any apps (like B4A-Bridge) to my virtual
device. I love it, FAST!!

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@agraham

Thank you for your tips but unfortunately the emulator resets the network settings and obtains always an IP-address of 192.168.56.101 in my LAN.

I have played around a lot with Virtualbox these days because I set up a virtual MAC and with this virtual pc I was able to use either NAT or Bridge without any problems. It is only Genymotion which seems to reset the Network interface each "b**y time it starts :(

Does it work for you?

I guess I will need to look into it further as soon as I have some free time.

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I occasionally use AndroVM which is the predecessor to Genymotion. I only use the virtual machine without the supporting PC software with the Android network running in Bridged mode. B4a_Bridge, local LAN and Internet access work fine using it this way.

bahamasc

Licensed User
Longtime User
How do I get "Google Play" onto the virtual device ?

I spent 3 hours trying to download any apps (like B4A-Bridge) to my virtual
device. I love it, FAST!!
If you D/L one of the Nexus 7 devices it comes with Google Play, from there the PlayStore works.
The others won't work, even if you find the APK and put it on.