Android Tablet SSID

willgeorge

Licensed User
Longtime User
New user, second question posted.

Background info:
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 that I want to connect to using a Microcontroller over WiFi. Using .NET Framework I can connect to the tablet using the frameworks TCPClient TCP sockets. However, the Microcontroller uses .NET Micro Framework that does not support the TCPClient.

Using sockets under the .NET Micro framework, I cannot get a connection to the Tablet (Connection from the microcontroller WiFi through my PC/Home router to th Tablet).

I could be way off base, but I wanted to ask if there is any way (Using a Basic4Android app) to enable broadcast of the SSID for the Android device. I 'think' that I may be able to connect if I can connect through the SSID or the Androids HostName (If it has one?).

New at the Android so I really do not know what is possibe or not possible.

Thanks for any info you may have.

Have a GREAT day!

Last edited:

willgeorge

Licensed User
Longtime User
Reply to Erel

Erel..

Why doesn't it work? Do you put your tablet IP address?

It is not a problem with Basic4android or my Samsung tablet. It is because .NET Micro does not support TCPClient. I have tried many different ways to connect a socket to the Android tablet and all failed to connect. The only way I found to connect was by using the TCPClient which works every time. The socket is through a WiFi adapter on my microcontroller, my router to my Android WiFi. There may be ways to connect without using the full .NET Framework TCPClient but I have not been sucessful doing it.

I'm not a professional programmer and I do not know much about the inner workings of Android sockets. Microcontroller to router or a windows application I can do with sucess even without using a TCPClient.

That said, I guess all I really want is for my tablet to broadcast it's SSID if that is possible.

Thanks for your reply!

Upvote 0

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It is because .NET Micro does not support TCPClient.
I'm not familiar with the Micro Framework but from TCP Client with .NET MF and Gadgeteer it does seem to support TCP sockets so you should be able to use that instead of using TcpClient.

I guess all I really want is for my tablet to broadcast it's SSID if that is possible.
I don't understand this. Your tablet doesn't have an SSID unless it can act as a WiFi access point which is unusual.

Upvote 0

willgeorge

Licensed User
Longtime User
Reply to agraham

agraham

I don't understand this. Your tablet doesn't have an SSID unless it can act as a WiFi access point which is unusual.

Your tablet doesn't have an SSID ... That answers my question.

Thank You

Upvote 0