Android vs iOS

j_o_h_n

Licensed User
Pardon my ignorance if this is a topic that has already been thrashed out by y'all, as they say in Texas.:)
When I am reading through the documentation I see numerous times where it's said, the situation for B4i is much simpler (than for B4A). And it's got me wondering why it's like this?
Why does Android destroy things when you rotate the phone when all iOS needs to do is a resize and why does Android necessitate a starter service to compensate for that it won't necessarily start a process with the intended first activity.
Does having the seemingly more convoluted life cycle give android any advantages over iOS or is iOS just a better designed system?

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
it is much better Android, think only of background services (much more complicated on ios) or views in StandOut that cannot be done on iOS

j_o_h_n

Licensed User
it is much better Android, think only of background services (much more complicated on ios) or views in StandOut that cannot be done on iOS

Thanks Star-Dust, I haven't gotten on to any of those yet so that's new information for me.
I haven't done anything for iOS at all and am not really planning to, for starters, I don't own any apple devices.
(Actually three people in my family did but they have all, since moved on to Samsungs)
It's good to hear that Android can hold its head up.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Does having the seemingly more convoluted life cycle give android any advantages over iOS or is iOS just a better designed system?
There is no simple answer to this question. Android complex life cycle is indeed related to background features. However over time, Android background features became more and more restricted, not very far from iOS.
I think that Android is a bit over-engineered and that it would have been designed differently if it was first designed today.

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think that Android is a bit over-engineered and that it would have been designed differently if it was first designed today.

Yes.
To compete with IOS, Android opened it up fully. No privacy check, do whatever you like, for developers.
Now that it has strong foot on ground, Android is in clean up mode.

Regards,

Anand