Android Question Android Wear, any newer tutorials?

tchart

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

Does any one have a more recent tutorial/sample/boilerplate for Android wear. The Barx tutorial was all based on pre-release info (from 2014). While I've manually (over ADB) deployed his wearable app sample I cant get the app to deploy from the "Phone" app from his instructions.

Thanks

canalrun

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,
I can't offer any new tutorials, but I am using the Barx tutorial methodology to currently develop for Wear.

I deploy my wear app from the phone app. If I remember correctly, everything must be followed exactly.

I just ran into the problem where all of a sudden my Wear app would not deploy. It turned out to be that I had an android permission in the Wear app, but did not have that same permission in the Phone app. This will cause deployment to fail.

I also have some examples with source for Wear that I uploaded at the time. Search for CanalRun in that group of threads.

I'm using both Sony Smartwatch 3 and Moto 360 Sport. I should note that both watches use Android Wear version 1.5xxx.. And I should mention that I am still using an older version of the B4A compiler, 4.30, and Android SDK platform 20.

My 360 Sport is supposed to be getting the Wear 2.0 update soon. I hope it still works.

Barry.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tchart

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks Barry, I'll check out your examples. I had the same problem (where the app just wouldn't deploy - probably something silly on my end). Thanks for the info.

Upvote 0

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My 360 Sport is supposed to be getting the Wear 2.0 update soon. I hope it still works.

Barry.

Hi Barry, I was wondering if your watch updated to the Wear 2.0 and if your app still deploys properly?

I ask, because with wear 2.0, the watch itself has its own play store, so apps can be installed directly to the phone without having to use the play store app on the phone.

-John

Upvote 0

canalrun

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello.
No, thank God, my watch has not updated. I have the Moto 360 Sport.

I don't think that they have released the update for this watch, yet. I have not received a 2.0 update for it.

They released the 2.0 update for the second-generation Moto 360 about a month ago. This watch is very similar to the Sport without the HR and GPS, I think. People have reported tons of problems with the update and they are begging for a way to go back to 1.5.

Barry.

Upvote 0