"Anyware" Software - ANy chance for a Basic4IOS or Basic4iPhone?

MartyXB

Licensed User
Longtime User
Confused by (a)"Anyware" designation (2)Implied Android only support (3) existence of Basic4ppc i.e. a non-android platform.

So I ask any chance for Basic4IOS (i.e. iPhone/iPad support) or will Windows mobile offering die and product (i.e. company) to be Android only?

barx

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm in no way connected to the running of this place but my answers would be.

(a) it's a name, Apple don't sell or make apples. So, should they change their company name. I'm going to assume the 'anywhere' comes from the fact that the tools provided are for mobile solutions and therefore can be taken anywhere.

(2) and (3) Basic4ppc was around before Basic4Android. Basic4ppc is in fact for the Windows Mobile platform NOT the new Windows Phone Mobile. Confusing but true. They are 2 completely different OS's. And the supported Windows Mobile platform is very close to death hence it festers away in the background.

MartyXB

Licensed User
Longtime User
barx is correct about the name.

The problem with iOS is that you cannot develop natively on Windows. This means that we cannot take (almost) any of our existing components and reuse them with iOS.

I am not sure about that. I have been playing with Codename One (codenameone) and they allow development of and simulating on an iPhone. I had to stop and look elseware when I realized that they did not support TCP communication (IO.NET). I like the implementation of basic4android and would love it to be a tool for all major mobile platforms.

From their FAQ

What Is Codename One?

Codename One is a free open source solution that allows you to rapidly build native applications to all mobile devices using Java & optionally a GUI builder. The framework provides full access to the underlying native platform while still providing remarkable portability.
Codename One consists of a Client Library, IDE plugin, Designer tool (GUI builder, theme designer, localization editor etc.), Simulator environment, Build servers & cloud provisioning services.

Will Apple Allow This? Doesn't their EULA (End User License Agreement) Prohibit Things Like This?

That's old news. Apple revisited their EULA and now allows tools such as Flash, Lua and other languages/meta-platforms on the device as long as the applications comply with the iOS store guidelines. This means you as developers would need to work hard to create high quality applications and test them on the devices to see they behave properly but you do not need to code them manually in Objective-C.

JonPM

Licensed User
Longtime User
You need a Mac to publish iOS apps. You cannot test apps on a real device without a Mac computer. What the FAQ says is that they allow apps that are not natively written in objective-c to be published.

gavind

How about if we use a Virtual Machine as a MAC, is this possible?
vbulletin-smile.gif

JonPM

Licensed User
Longtime User
You can develop on a VM, but again you can't publish or test on real device

imbault

Licensed User
Longtime User
If the main problem is getting a Mac. Or not having all the features we have with B4A.

I am ready to sign a check to Erel, to get such a IDE for programming IOS

Patzi

Licensed User
Longtime User
IDE Code for Windows only

Why not going a way like Embarcadero (Delphi). They had the same problem (Windows only IDE and want to support iOS).
Of course you need a Mac too for their solution:

They run the IDE under a virtual mashine. They wrote a little server app which is running under MacOS which handles compiling and remote debugging.