Longtime User
HI,

I have upgraded my App to target API26
B4X:
AddManifestText(
<uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="18" android:targetSdkVersion="26"/>

Previously it was targeting API22

I have compiled it with B4A8 and tested it on my Galaxy S7 under Android 8.0

So I considered that everything was fine and decided to upload the APK to the Googleplay
It's almost perfect but I get this strange message :

Passer à un nouveau modèle d'autorisation
Avertissement :
Les utilisateurs disposant de la version 46 de l'APK (qui cible la version 22 du SDK ou une version antérieure) pourront effectuer la mise à jour. Cependant, une fois la mise à jour effectuée, ils ne pourront plus installer d'APK ciblant la version 22 du SDK ou une version antérieure.

Conseil :
Si cette modification est voulue, assurez-vous que les futures mises à jour installées sur les appareils des utilisateurs passant à cet APK ciblent la version 23 ou ultérieure du SDK.

In english it should give something like this :

Go to a new authorisation model
Warning :
Users with version 46 of the APK (which is targeting SDK Api22 or below) will be able to upgrade to new version. However, once done, they won't be able to install Apk targeting SDK API 22 or below.

Advice : If this modification is wanted, be sure that next updates installed on users devices using thois Apk target version 23 or above.

And when going on without correcting this warning I get a new window saying that I should read warnings !

Question : should I panic or not ? Will I loose most of my users or not ?

Thank you
JP

Last edited:

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

freedom2000

Licensed User
Longtime User

Thank you for this link that I had already read.

I am in this exact case : Starting from August 2018 for new apps and November 2018 for existing apps, Google will force developers to set the targetSdkVersion to 26+: https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2017/12/improving-app-security-and-performance.html

So forced to target Api26... And I am quite late.
My fear was just the strange message I got just because I reached Google's requirements.
So on one hand I am forced to jump to 26+ and in the other hand I have this anxiety warning ...

What could I do ? Forget the warning ?

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You need to know that, once your published a app with targetsdk 26, you can not go back to a lower targetsdk.
And I am quite late.
yes, a bit ;-)

As written in the link i posted.

- Start with implementing Runtimepermissions. Once you understand how it works it is not complicated.

But as you are forced to go to targetsdk 26 you have to keep other things in mind too. Everything is listed in the link above though.

From my line of sight the most issues here in the forum in the last months was missing runtimepermissions and FileProvider issues (FileUri Exposed Exception).

For any of the new requirements there are solutions (examples) on how it works.
Some things needs to be adapted like Notifications, Backgroundservices.

Start a new thread for any Issue you have, try to reproduce the issue in a example app and upload it. It will be of much help if you provide an example project.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

freedom2000

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you DonManfred,

I currently have a working App with RunTime Permissions, notifications and background services which seems to work !
For the later and notifications i used Erel's example here.

So right now I don't have any issue excepted this nasty warning !

Upvote 0