Android Question App crashes for some customers?

tsteward

Licensed User
Longtime User
My app works perfect on 6 devices I have and also forks for most customers. But there are a handful of people experiencing problems/crashes etc.

What is the best way to get data, crash reports, logs etc to try to figure out the problem?

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

MarkusR

Licensed User
Longtime User
because protection of privacy i would make optional logging and a send (share) log per mail or something.
interesting is what they done last, you will have a starting point for searching and testing.
the parts that make problems should have try catch.
you can not prevent incompatibility with some devices because os versions.
os updates/upgrades is always one's own risk & luck.
google play store apps have a crash log if users send it under developer google play console / android vitals.
https://play.google.com/apps/publish

Upvote 0

tsteward

Licensed User
Longtime User
Ok I have gone with the Crashlytics. Don't really know what i'm doing but have it all setup and the deliberate error in the example crashes the app and report is generated. All good thus far.
I have the deliberate error and sent the app to a single user experiencing issues. For him at a certain point my app just hangs rather than crashes and does not generate a report.

Can anyone shed some light on how I might generate a report?
Or do I just write a version creating a log txt file and ask him to send it to me? I wanted to go the firebase way so it can be left in my app permanently in case of future issues.

Upvote 0

tsteward

Licensed User
Longtime User
yes that code crashes the app and generates a report.
If I remove the line Dim i As Int = "sdkljkljkljfsdf" and let the app crash/seize up when/where ever the user has a problem I get nothing.

My app has several activities. One uses ULV to list all vehicles. When A user selects a vehicle a new activity is opened to display the vehicle data.
Im not sure if my app crashes after selection of the item in ULV on activity 1 or when trying to load the data after opening activity 2.

Upvote 0