Android Question App install not creating app folder!

sconlon

Licensed User
Longtime User
I've encountered a very strange issue with deploying any new B4A app on my Samsung S9+ running Android 9 and using B4A v8.80 The app seems to install and run ok but there is no app folder created in the storage/emulated/0/Android/data folder. I discovered this first when I was testing an app that was writing a file to the DirDefaultExternal folder, it gave a "No such file or directory" error. After lots of debugging and not finding any reason for this I started a new app which only loaded a layout file and after installing this found no app folder. As a further test I changed the package name of an existing app , one which previously installed, ran and created an app folder ok, and it showed the same issue - no app folder. I'm sure there is some explanation for this but I can't see it. Thanks for any help.

sconlon

Licensed User
Longtime User
So after reading another post re DirDefaultExternal and Erel's reply not to use it I changed it to DirInternal and app now works. When did this change? I have been using it in several older apps without issue.

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Google is changing the rules every year. Don´t know when it changed.

Upvote 0

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You can use DirDefaultExternal, just have to run permission code for it in Android 6 and above.

To compete with IPhone, Google made Android fully open initially to all developers, do whatever you like. Now after lots of court ruling for privacy etc. , Google is adding permission and privacy checks.

Regards,

Anand

Upvote 0