Android Question App Launch Times

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,

Google play will be using a new algo to list the app standings in google play store. One of the most important thing with the new standings is the app launch times:

See details here : https://developer.android.com/topic/performance/vitals/launch-time

My question is , 2 of my apps out of 3 is over the median by around %15 which is an enormous difference. What can be done or what should be avoided to decrease the cold startup, warm startup or hot startup ? For example, is the layout file mostly affects the load time or the things done in activity-create sub?

We need some tips about this. This will be an important thing in the standings.

Another question: Any way to calculate the load time? I read that:

Time to initial display

In Android 4.4 (API level 19) and higher, logcat includes an output line containing a value called Displayed. This value represents the amount of time elapsed between launching the process and finishing drawing the corresponding activity on the screen. The elapsed time encompasses the following sequence of events:

1. Launch the process.
  2. Initialize the objects.
  3. Create and initialize the activity.
  4. Inflate the layout.
  5. Draw your application for the first time.
The reported log line looks similar to the following example:

ActivityManager: Displayed com.android.myexample/.StartupTiming: +3s534ms

Android vitals

Android vitals can help improve your app's performance by alerting you, via the Play Console, when your app's startup times are excessive. Android vitals considers your app's startup times excessive when the app's:

• Cold startup takes 5 seconds or longer.
  • Warm startup takes 2 seconds or longer.
  • Hot startup takes 1.5 seconds or longer.

Last edited:

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You should optimise your starting procedures as much as possible and only loads what is actually needed at the beginning and nothing else.

Arey your apps receiving external data from the internet?

I presume that there are plenty of ways to cut down what is happening in the main activity from a child start. You can accurately calculate load times by simply using a start/stop time (deduct the start time from the syop time and you have your load time).

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0