Android Question App rejected on update

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all,
last week I successfully updated an app ob both Apple's and Google's stores.
Then I found a marginal bug and decided to update again. No problem with Apple, but Google rejected it.
The reason:

Issue found: Invalid privacy policy​

Nothing changed about that since the last week, so I guess that a more scrupulous rewier acted on my update. I tried the appeal way, they mailed an accepted message but the new version wasn't published. So I'm trying it again but would like to hear from you about the following list they mailed on rejection:

Your privacy policy must:
  • Be linked on your app’s store listing page in Play Console and within the app itself.
  • Hold reference to the entity (for example, developer, company) named in the app’s Google Play listing or the app.
  • Include a clear labeling as a privacy policy.
  • Include a privacy point of contact or a mechanism to submit inquiries.
  • Be readable in a standard browser without any plug-ins or special handlers (no PDFs).
  • Be available on an active, publicly accessible and non-geofenced URL.
  • Be non-editable.
  • Comprehensively disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data. This must include:
    • Disclosing the types of personal and sensitive user data your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares; and any parties with which any personal or sensitive user data is shared.
    • Secure data handling procedures for personal and sensitive user data.
    • Developer’s data retention and deletion policy.
First point on the list: obviously a link on the app store exists since they cited it (btw is correct and functioning). Should I add a label in my app showing that same URL ?
"Include a clear labeling as a privacy policy.". Like above, would a label like "Privacy policy - https://click4lunch.ch/privacy" suffice or should I waste a page to copy the content of that URL in the app? Is the URL ok or should it be clickable in order to launch the standard browser or a webview?
Do they want the "privacy point of contact" showed in-app or will it suffice what's in the URL (and on the app's store pages)?

I don't blame on them because I believe they must adapt to worldwide (often exagerated) privacy regulations.
But when a rewier writes that my policy link is invalid (ok, its content) and adds a list that seems there for interpretation instead of as an aid, what one should do?

So, my question is: as a formal way to satisfy them what, in your experience, would be the less impactful action?

TIA

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Do you mean a working link? You act on the menu click to launch the standard browser by an intent? Or embed a webview to show the policy on the remote server?
BTW, in your experience is all that they need to be happy (about the privacy policy)?

Upvote 0

asales

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Do you mean a working link? You act on the menu click to launch the standard browser by an intent? Or embed a webview to show the policy on the remote server?
I use an intent to open the html page. I don't use webview.
BTW, in your experience is all that they need to be happy (about the privacy policy)?
I have almost 50 apps in the Play Store.
Until now I don't had this problem (I have several others :rolleyes:), but when it comes to Google Play, my experience may not be the same for others.

Another thing: did you fill the Data safety form?

Reactions: udg
Upvote 0

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
did you fill the Data safety form?
Sure.
Probably it's kind of "false positive". On January 1st they approved and published an update. One week later they became "burocratic" when I attempted a second update.
As said, it could be because of different reviewers looking at my app.
The funny thing is that my app doesn't collect any personal data. Anything "personal" is managed directly by the employers of the users.

Thank yoy for your help

Upvote 0

Alex_197

Licensed User
Longtime User
In my app I have a screen (actiity) where I download the privacy policy itself from the company page and user must accept it on the first run.
On the company website we have a link to the same page

Upvote 0

Alex_197

Licensed User
Longtime User
Sure.
Probably it's kind of "false positive". On January 1st they approved and published an update. One week later they became "burocratic" when I attempted a second update.
As said, it could be because of different reviewers looking at my app.
The funny thing is that my app doesn't collect any personal data. Anything "personal" is managed directly by the employers of the users.

Thank yoy for your help
On January 1st they approved and published an update. One week later they became "burocratic" when I attempted a second update.

The answer is simple - hangover.

Upvote 0

f0raster0

Licensed User
Longtime User
I encountered a similar situation, link privacy policy not working, where I attempted to inquire what the issue was and verified that my link was correct. They continue saying my link isn't working..

After clicking around here and there, and modifying the link, writing again, I resubmitted it for review, and it was subsequently approved.

Upvote 0