Android Question AppUpdater (cl_appupdate)

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I moved my site from a test laptop to a real Win 2012 R2 server and all is working fine EXCEPT for AppUpdater.

It worked perfectly on the laptop now I get the "Not Found" error from http response.
Tried it from the browser with same effect:

HTTP Status 404 - /apks/rd.txt

type Status report

message /apks/rd.txt

description The requested resource is not available.

Apache Tomcat/8.0.14

RDC works great along with a B4J server running in a jar that sends files from the device to the server (bitmaps and PDF's) as per Erel's example. The same base IP is used for RDC as it is for AppUpdater. I have tried with and without the :8080. Without I get "Refused". WEith I get "Not Found".

I have been researching and testing all day to no avail. Strange days indeed...

Debug results...
B4X:
 Path for file in Updateapk = http://10.131.3.84:8080/apks/rd.txt
    My Current Version: 1.21
HTTP Service Error: Response Not Found
Job Name from HTTP: JobWebVNonly  Tag: java.lang.Object@3015b18d err: Not Found
HTTP Service Error: Response Not Found
Job Name from HTTP: JobWebVNcompare  Tag: java.lang.Object@3563bf42 err: Not Found
---- AppUpdating.JobDone --
    JobName = JobWebVNonly, Success = false
    Error: Not Found
    error in httputils2
Running apk version: 1.21
JobService - Updated all log records to Sent ' my code for RDC sending data...

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Harris,
long time ago I experienced something similar where the target file extension was "apk".
It resulted in the need to properly configure the server in order to set that extension as valid for requests.
Now, if I understand correctly your post, you can't download a txt file neither through your appupdater-enabled app nor by the browser. That made the previous comment come to find.
I looked around in my old posts to retrieve what it's described above in order to give you more precise indications but I had no luck until now.
I'll keep searching while at home. In the meanwhile you could google for "apache file extension types" or "windows 2012 file extension files".

Edit: maybe I found it.. look at posts from #29 in Appupdating thread

Umberto

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I got it working. I had to set the mime type for .apk to application/vnd.android.package-archive.

He goes on to say this is for an IIS configuration. I really don't know what it all means, unfortunately.
I had researched the web and found some things about the web.xml and setting the type to UTF8, which I did with no luck.

The Tomcat was part of a Jaspersoft reporting engine installation which needs to reside on this server since it is part of my overall package.
From all accounts, it is server side - judging by the responses...

Since I use Erel's server example (included in my ABM project) for uploading files - where no problem exists - would it be possible to create a solution in this fashion?
Yours requires no server - just ingenuity and luck...

I just finished updating 17 vehicles manually, and I currently can't update auto from this point. The same code exists in the app so if and when I get the server resloved, it should work once more.

Thanks

Upvote 0

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Last minute, quick and dirty idea.
What if you simply rename your "txt" file to "html" ? Tomcat will serve it fine and you will work on it as the txt it is...

Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Think I may have nipped (solved) this... have not yet confirmed.
I installed JasperSoft on this server which also installs Apache.
The Host root dir is not where I expected to be. It is buried under the Jasper installation.
I had the same issue when trying to download a XLS file I had saved on the server.

When I put my folders under this (site) root dir, all works fine.
I expect I shall achieve the same when I move my apk folders to this location...

So much to learn so little (brain capacity) time...

Will keep this post updated when solved.

Upvote 0

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you for the update...on AppUpdate..eheheh

udg

Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you for the update...on AppUpdate..eheheh

udg
Today, I finally moved the app update folder to the proper location on the new server.
Works like a charm, as if there was ever any doubt....

Suck on that - Google Play Store!

Thanks again.

Upvote 0

techknight

Licensed User
Longtime User
Keep in mind, AppUpdating works with dropbox. You can always use dropbox to host your APK files and TXT files.

the URL for that is dl.dropbox.com instead of www.dropbox.com

Upvote 0