Auto-run on the device...

burtcom

Licensed User
Basic4PPC's on-device programming competitors, NSBasic and PPL, have one feature that I would like to see adopted with Basic4PPC -- the ability to run .spb programs with one-click on the device.

Let me expand on why I think this is useful...

I'm also a user of PPL, which allows on-device compilation so you can click on your executable on the device and run it.

I really like the ability to program with .net that Basic4PPC provides, but of course compiling is out of the question unless someone comes out with a compiler that runs on the device.

I do most of my work on the device, during commute or when I'm supposed to be watching the kids :) With PPL I can compile my apps and then be able to run them with one click. Then if I find something that needs fixing I can modify the source file then recompile.

I'd like to propose a poor-mans "compilation" for Basic4PPC -- if a source file ends with .spx or maybe .spe, then when the file is loaded it is run automatically, and when the program is quit it also quits the editor.

Then if I need to, I can change the extension to spb, edit and test, then change it back to spx when I'm happy. When I get to a Desktop machine I can then compile to get all it's speedy goodness.

This would provide us a one-click option to run our software on the device, and will take PPL and NSBasic down a notch for me :)

When I started this in the File Association thread, there was a concern that this will allow some sort of unscrupulous use of Basic4PPC -- I frankly don't see it. This will provide a nice shortcut to folks like me who do most of our work on the device, but for best speed of course you will want to compile on the Desktop.

Finally, PPL, which I also own, and NSBasic, which I used to use, allows full compilation ON THE DEVICE or at least a way to launch applications with a click.

So why not give Basic4PPC this ability also?

burtcom

Licensed User

I was thinking another way to signal autorun, rather than messing with file extensions, might be to have something set in the source file -- first line set to...

'autorun

... for example