Android Question Automatic datatype conversion

mcqueccu

Licensed User
Longtime User
Formerly I don't have to worry so much about data type as IDE takes care of it for me, Example if i have string variable = "2" and i have integer variable = 2 and I compare, i will get true but no more.

Here are two scenarios where that no longer work:

I have a php script
PHP:
echo "failed";

then I also have B4A using okhttputils to get the result
B4X:
    Dim ok As HttpJob
    ok.Initialize("",Me)
    ok.Download(mhyurl)
    Wait For Jobdone (ok As HttpJob)

If ok.Success Then
        Dim res As String
        res = ok.GetString

If res = "failed" Then
            Log("yes")
        Else
            Log("no")
        End If
    End If

But then I was getting No. I had to do res.trim before the comparism worked and I dont know why because the php does not have any space anywhere in the echo statement

Today too I have this scenario. I have some few labels and i set tag for them in the designer as 1,2,3 with same event name

i have this code in a label click event
B4X:
Private Sub lblLeftMenu_Click
Dim l As B4XView = Sender
    Log(l.Tag)

Select l.Tag
        Case 1
            Log("1 here")
        Case 2
            Log("2 here")
        Case 3
            Log("3 here")
    End Select
End Sub

But then it was also NOT working, when i check the type for l.tag it gives string, so have to declare another integer variable and cast the l.tag before it worked

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I dont know why because the php does not have any space anywhere in the echo statement
I think echo appends a newline character to the string.
when i check the type for l.tag it gives string, so have to declare another integer variable and cast the l.tag before it worked
That is expected in some situations, as an example a string "2.0" does not match an integer 2 in a string comparison as the integer 2 is converted to "2". It is always best to do comparisons in the correct type to get the required result.

Upvote 0