Available Languages

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi guys...

I was wondering, since surely there are a few Professional coders among us...
How many languages do you make available to distribute your apps with, and wich do you usual include?

My top 6 would be...

Português - my home country language
English - The most international of all languages
German - 2nd Most international Language (?)
French - 3rd Most International Language (?)
Russian - Until very recently I thought that german and Russian Languages were one and the same...
Italian - One of the most influent countries in Europe...

As you can see, all my target languages are europe Based Languages...
How about you?

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Paulo,

I am not a professional programmer, but my programs are multilanuage.

I am afraid that you forgot Spanish in your list.

My programs are predefined for :
English
German
French
Italian
Spanish
Portuguese
Japanese

The problem is manly the translations. For the IconEdit program I got translations for all languages above. Protuguese from you, Spanish from kyto, Italian from Filippo and Japanese thanks to alfcen.

I have not yet thaught about Russian.

If there are people interested in I can add the possibility for the Russian language in my programs, but I would need for shure a translator. Testing would perhaps also be more difficult because of the different character set. I experienced this with Japanese.

Best regards.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My aproach to the "languages" is much similar to Yours, and I believe that using simple too translate words does in fact make the multi-lingual more easy to acomplish..
the hard part is for the translator to be able to provide a small phrase, keeping the meaning....

Bobbes

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Cableguy,
German language and Russian language are NOT the same. Please take a look onto the letters.:cool::cool:

Best regards Bobbes

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Paulo,

I agree with you, but there are two translations.

The first are text files for the texts in the program, Control names, comments etc. To translate these it's not too difficult, but the translator must or should at least 'play' a bit with the program to understand, as you said, the meaning.

The second one are the Help files. There it's somewhat more difficult, and I speek by experience. In that case the translator must not only know the functionalities of the program but also be very good in both languages.

Best regards.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Paulo,

I agree with you, but there are two translations.

The first are text files for the texts in the program, Control names, comments etc. To translate these it's not too difficult, but the translator must or should at least 'play' a bit with the program to understand, as you said, the meaning.

The second one are the Help files. There it's somewhat more difficult, and I speek by experience. In that case the translator must not only know the functionalities of the program but also be very good in both languages.

Best regards.

I agree with you 200%...
That's why its important to your translator to keep feeding-back to you in case of doudt...
Any how, we're getting a bit off topic...
Wich languages are to you the most important to translate to?

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
For me English is a MUST.

Then if we look at the number of posts in the Foreign language forum.
it would be (probably not the best criteria):
German Italian Russian French Spanish Portuguese

If we look at the spoken languages in the world usual estimation.
List of languages by total number of speakers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
it would be
Chinese English Spanish Russian French Hindustani Arabic Portuguese Bengali German Japanese

This criteria is probably the most concrete
Most Widely Spoken Languages
The last one one the page.
English French Spanish Russian Arabic Chinese German Japanese Portugese
It's strange, Italian is not in these top 10 lists.

So, as a summary I would suggest:
English French Spanish Russian German Portuguese Italian and why not Japanese.

After looking in my programs I am missing Russian. So I will add the choice.

Hope this gives you a better view.

Best regards.

RichardW

Licensed User
Longtime User
Being from Montreal I provide French and English but with the capability of supporting other languages via external text files. It also depends on the target audience and country (ie USA - guess I need Spanish too).