Android Question B4a-Bridge buttons grey'ed out

chuck3e

Licensed User
Longtime User
Recently B4a-Bridge (v2.10) has stopped working during testing on one of my tablets. All the buttons are grey'ed out except the Stop button which doesn't do anything except turn white when I press it. During the problem I see no other non-os apps running. I have done a Force Stop on it but that doesn't clear it. I uninstalled it and re-installed it through the App-Store but that didn't clear it either. The only way to get it working again is to reboot the tablet. This happens about every third or so compile/test. I'm using a 7" Trio Stealth-G2 with Android ver 4.0.4. I have two other tablets that do not do this: a 9.7" Trio 97C Android ver 4.0.4 and a 10.1" Samsung Tab4 Android ver 4.4.2. I am testing your file transfer logic and wondering if its service or wifi connection is interferring.
-Chuck

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Review your "can instal third Patty apps" settings... I had the same behaviour yesterday after re-updating my iconia and re-installing b4bridge

Upvote 0

chuck3e

Licensed User
Longtime User
Cableguy, I checked my settings and they haven't changed. Thanks for the suggestion though.
-Chuck

Upvote 0

chuck3e

Licensed User
Longtime User
Do you see any message when you start B4A-Bridge?
Erel, I do not ever see any error messages on the Bridge's startup screen. This doesn't happen all the time but I'll be sure to look closer for any messages next time. I'm testing two different apps on three different tablets and I'm not sure what the offending sequence is. So far I haven't been able to intentionally cause it.
-Chuck

Upvote 0

chuck3e

Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel,
I think it has something to do with this command: #CanInstallToExternalStorage: True

I was able to reproduce the error. My tablet does not have an SD card inserted. The code that I've been playing with had the "true" coded and I never noticed that until now. Don't know how that got in there. When I changed it to false I did over a dozen installs with no problems. As soon as I changed it back to True it failed and grayed out the Bridge buttons. (The buttons are grayed out except for the Stop, but the Bridge is still connected and allowing installs, however, if I press the Stop button it disconnects and won't allow a re-connect because the buttons are grayed out.) I also was getting a message, when I Opened the app after install, saying an SD card was not inserted and to check if a USB cable was connected. I ignored this message because I got it at other times, too, and thought it was just an informative message. I finally got suspicious and discovered the above command which when set to false seems to have fixed the problem. I'll know as I keep testing but right now it appears to be the "smoking gun".
-Chuck

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chuck3e

Licensed User
Longtime User
My mistake about file transfer having True coded for the external storage. It is set to false in the sample code. I don't know how True got in mine. I have edited it out of the previous comment. Sometimes I'm my own worst enemy.
Apologies, Chuck

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chuck3e

Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel, I was wondering why I have this problem on only the one tablet. I noticed the one having the problem is using ver 2.10 of the Bridge where the other two tablets are using v2.08 and v2.09. Is there a connection here?
-Chuck

Upvote 0

chuck3e

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have not had a problem since I set caninstalltoexternalstorage to false. The odd thing is the tablet that does not have an external SD card never had a problem but the tablet that does have one knocks down the Bridge. Same version of Android in both.

Since things are working fine now we can put this puppy to bed.

Thanks for your help. You are so good and patient with us rookies and our struggles. I have great respect for you.

-Chuck

Upvote 0