Android Tutorial B4A Rapid book updated to B4A 12.50

I am happy to announce that both the paperback, PDF and EPUB versions of the B4A tutorial and reference book “B4A Rapid Android App Development using BASIC” by Wyken Seagrave have now been updated to cover version 12.50 of B4A. It includes documentation of all the latest core B4X libraries.

The paperback is available from the Penny Press Store at https://www.pennypress.co.uk/store-4/

It is also available on Amazon and from all good bookshops but at a higher price. The ISBN is 9781512296259.

If you buy the paperback directly from Penny Press you will also be able to download a free electronic book, free shipping and receive free updates of future editions of the ebook.

Or you can buy the PDF and EPUB versions with free updates of future editions only from the Penny Press Store.

Customers who have previously bought the ebook or paperback with free ebook directly from the Penny Press Store can now obtain a FREE upgrade to the latest edition by visiting the upgrade page (https://www.pennypress.co.uk/b4a/upgrade/)

Readers comments about this book:

"This was a book that I now use as a constant reference and have found it a mine of information."
"Brilliantly written and presented."
"Excellent book. Just what I was looking for."
"I will not now be able to think of developing an app without this book at my side."
“It is highly recommended.”

PhilipBrown

Licensed User
Longtime User
I followed the instructions and got this error message: "Sorry, we cannot upgrade the product you bought, product code: 9781871281200" 🤔
Hello Ivan,
Sorry but the book you bought was an earlier version called Basic4Android.
This was replaced by the current version called B4A. It did not include a free upgrade.

Fjudduk

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello Philip,
Looks like the EPUB version of the download is corrupt. File contains a preamble that should not be there and confuses EPUB readers.

PhilipBrown

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello Philip,
Looks like the EPUB version of the download is corrupt. File contains a preamble that should not be there and confuses EPUB readers.
I assume you are talking about the upgrade version rather than the version purchased from the Penny Press store.
I can open the EPUB in calibre without any problems.
Can you let me know what sort of preamble you see and what you using to read the book.
Thanks.

Fjudduk

Licensed User
Longtime User
I assume you are talking about the upgrade version rather than the version purchased from the Penny Press store.
I can open the EPUB in calibre without any problems.
Can you let me know what sort of preamble you see and what you using to read the book.
Thanks.
The start of the downloaded "B4A-Rapid-12.50-h^5fderwU76.epub" looks like this:
<pre>Array
(
[0] =>
[1] => b4a
[2] => upgrade
[3] =>
)
</pre>
PK À€Woa«, mimetypeapplication/epub+zipPK À€W META-INF/ PK À€WŸtš ô META-INF/container.xmlUŽÁÂ

The "<pre> ... </pre>" part should not be there in the 'upgrade' download.
And yes, Calible swallows this without comment, but an epub reader like Aquile does not.
So, the workaround for Aquile (from Microsoft App Store) is "import in Calibre and then export as an epub file." This works, but was not necessary in previous versions.
Same header found in "B4A-Rapid-12-50-Ki9_7gVfr5.pdf"

Last edited: