Bug? B4J IDE, Save while Debugging

swChef

Licensed User
Longtime User
While debugging a project, but not in break mode, if I hit the save button, it starts a compile followed by a hot swap. Is that intended?

While debugging a large enough project, so that the compile time is say over 1 second long, if you hit the save button a second time during the compile, with about 0.75 second between, it tries to compile while compiling, and generates the following message. Each time the line reported may vary, likely depending on the timing of the second click (minor issue).
B4Jdebugrunning_doublesavebutton_8.5B1.png

It appears to have no negative impact on the IDE nor the application running, the message disappears after a few seconds.
100% reproducible.

8.5 Beta #1. Yeah, I should upgrade.

jahswant

Licensed User
Longtime User
This happens when you’re in debug mode and you click on save many times. You should only click on save once.

swChef

Licensed User
Longtime User
It happens if you click a second time; many times not necessary.
100% reproducible
It's a bug/flaw. Seemingly harmless, unless you are a novice. Then it may be alarming, or at least cause them to look for code mistakes or library problems.

Last edited:

swChef

Licensed User
Longtime User
The compile time is 2.8sec (taken off the compile and rapid debug form). You need a large enough project, something that compiles for longer than 1 sec.
B4J IDE needs to be in debug mode, running. I'm using an i5-8400T 17.Ghz, 12Gb. 64bit W10
C:\Program Files\Java\jdk-14.0.1\bin\javac.exe

Hit Save button, wait at least a half second, but less than 0.75 second, then hit save again. Try varying the time delay a bit between 0.5 and <0.75 sec. Times may vary with project size.
After about a second, despite IDE still says compiling, it won't reproduce. Maybe it has started the hot swap but didn't update the status bar so it appears to be compiling.

I restarted the IDE, hit F5 to run, then hit the save button twice with the delay as described, and it reproduces.

I installed the Release. Still reproduces.