Other B4j: POP3 depricated; what to do?

cbal03

Licensed User
Longtime User
gmail has stopped allowing pop3/smtp connections as of May 20 2022. I found that other pop3/smtp mail providers require TLS and are paid services.. Is there a way to use imap for sending emails in b4j? Thanks

cbal03

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks Erel. I appreciate the response.
This option looks great, However, I would prefer to communicate with a mail server directly. This option forces me to always use google which may or may not be a good thing. :)

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
This option looks great, However, I would prefer to communicate with a mail server directly. This option forces me to always use google which may or may not be a good thing. :)
Your question in #1 was exactly about gmail!? Now it sounds like the opposite.

Upvote 0

CaptKronos

Licensed User
Are you sure that POP3/SMTP is no longer supported, but rather you now need to use an App Password? Even if PO3/SMTP is no longer supported, IMAP with an App password still works.

Upvote 0

lucasheer

Licensed User
Longtime User
SendGrid/MailGun have free options, plus you can use x@domain if you would like šŸ‘

Not unlimited emails for free, but I never went over in the past, even Gmail has limit

Edit: some old applications I did still use pop3, just need to enable less secure apps through your Gmail

Upvote 0

cbal03

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you all for your suggestions.
Turning on 2SV (2 step verification) and creating an app password (gmail account settings) to replace my usual connection password for my desktop outlook and in B4J code seems to work.
Outlook and my B4J program both work once again:)

note: google removed the option 'allow less secure devices'. I had to do this a while ago to fix it the first time pop/smtp failed for me.

another note:
I created a new yahoo email account and a new hotmail email account. Both accounts would not allow my desktop outlook program nor my B4J program to connect to the mail servers. This is why I asked about IMAP.
Sorry for the confusion.

Upvote 0