Wish B4J server hosting

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I wish one day Anywshere Software provides a new paid service to host data server aplications on their own website.
Now this kind of service is available by purchasing VPS but this is a little complex and not straight .. they just give you
the space and you are responsible of configuring everuthing and installing all the componets necessary to carry n the
requests -a headache in the neck

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I wish they don't. That would take focus away from B4X, because running an environment like that isn't a setup-and-forget deal, it's something you need to work with continuously. The only way it might be acceptable, from a focus perspective, is if Anywhere Software would hire another person to handle it. As far as I can tell it's something that they are intensely uninterested in doing. Besides, the service would probably have to be somewhat expensive to cover the cost of that person, which wouldn't make it attractive for most members.

I wouldn't mind a detailed and easy-to-follow guide on how to do it on a standard VPS though. Come to think of it, perhaps Klaus could be persuaded to make a nice booklet about it? Or somebody else. I'm sure there are forum members that would even be willing to pay for such a document.

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
There are 2 options for VPS, Managed and Unmanaged. You can pay the VPS provider to setup everything for you. I am on the other hand, feeling adventurous to explore and learn about Linux server. Anyone can post a job offer for setting up a B4J server on a VPS if they wish.

tchart

Licensed User
Longtime User
I wish one day Anywshere Software provides a new paid service to host data server aplications on their own website.
Now this kind of service is available by purchasing VPS but this is a little complex and not straight .. they just give you
the space and you are responsible of configuring everuthing and installing all the componets necessary to carry n the
requests -a headache in the neck
How much would you pay for such a service?

As @Sandman said its not set and forget. Managed services need automation and scale to be workable. If people are only willing to pay $5 per month then its not worth the investment.