B4J Question b4j vs baas

jamesnz

Licensed User
Longtime User
I apologize if this is in the wrong forum but my back end experience is a tiny bit of php and MySQL . I've connected a few apps via HTTP but security and scalability is next to nothing. I don't really know what I'm doing.

I want to build /use a scalable backend for my Android and Apple b4x apps. The simpler the better. Parse looked ideal but the b4a wrapper did not do user authentication and parse is not really as scalable now since it is soon to be discontinued.

At minimum I need a SQL or some sort of database thst lets be do more than just key value storage and it needs to be scalable for when my user numbers increase.
Also id like to be able to let users authenticate with Twitter Google Facebook etc. Later on it would be nice to do push notifications and pull data from external apis etc. It would be ideal if I could run a website off the same api.

Since none of the baas providers make sdks for b4a. (Azure, firebase, hoodie etc) I am assuming this means I can't use such services. Is that correct ?

If that's the case what is everyone else doing to build and use scalable back ends, push notifications etc?

I'm prepared to put some money into getting someone to build a b4a wrapper for a good cheap baas but I am wondering if im taking the right approach , perhaps I'm missing something fundamentally simple.?

This must be a common challenge.?

If there is no solution can someone recommend some reading ?

Thankyou

Last edited:

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Many service providers expose REST api which you can use with HttpUtils2. However you can also implement your own back end with B4J.

Start with jRDC2 which allows you to connect to any remote database. There is also B4X Push server and CloudKVS: https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/63536/#content

Upvote 0

alwaysbusy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Have you considered, next to what Erel mentioned, using ABMaterial for the interface? It can create WebApps in pure B4J code (no php, html, css or javascript knowledge required). It has some components that may be usefull for you like ABMSocialOAuth that allows authenticating using social media like Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc...

Upvote 0

jamesnz

Licensed User
Longtime User
Have you considered, next to what Erel mentioned, using ABMaterial for the interface? It can create WebApps in pure B4J code (no php, html, css or javascript knowledge required). It has some components that may be usefull for you like ABMSocialOAuth that allows authenticating using social media like Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc...

No I haven't. But I'll be looking that up right about now, thanks :)

Upvote 0