Wish B4X control elements

BlueVision

Licensed User
Longtime User
First: I don't want to complain. B4J is in combination with B4X control elements a great tool. I used to programme with B4A, now more and more with B4J. But there is one thing that regularly gives me a headache and I am always annoyed at how complicated the solution has to be worked out again and again:

With many B4X controls, properties can often be selected in the designer that have no effect on the appearance of the control during runtime. This applies in particular to the colour design of the controls, but also occasionally to other functions such as text alignment and the like. If these properties are available in the designer, why are they ignored? This is confusing, not only for newcomers. My wish would be that changing these properties would then also be taken into account when the programme is executed. I wouldn't really care how this happens in detail. But it simply costs too much time to keep looking for a working workaround. I know this may not always be easy, but it must be easier to realise somehow.

Cheers BV

BlueVision

Licensed User
Longtime User
As I said, it's more or less a bit of polishing and tweaking that's needed, I don't want to open Pandora's box here by any means, I like the software far too much for that.
An example?
A code example would be too elaborate for that. But perhaps this makes my point a little clearer:

Very simple. Put a B4X combobox into an empty project (I am using B4J). Try to assign a background colour or a frame colour to the combobox in the Designer. Maybe I'm too stupid, but the values entered there have no effect on the appearance of the combo box during runtime. That's exactly the kind of thing I mean.
Sure, there might be methods to create colour changes there, but that usually means some extra code in the programme. The problem with this is that if you then search in the programme after several months to find out what you have actually changed somewhere in order to achieve a change, you very quickly find yourself hopelessly entangled in the shallows of your own code and no longer understand your own programming. It just eats up a hell of a lot of time.
For smaller and more manageable projects, this might still work somewhere. But when you have to search for it in 5000 lines of source code, it's not easy.