Android Question B4X Installation and Setup

MikeSW17

Licensed User
Hi. Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but there isn't a Setup/Installation area (or Newbie Area).

I'm wondering how others do their B4X installations, if there is a "best" way. Specifically the installation folders and project folder structures.

Following the on-line instructions, I'm directed to install Java in "C:\java", but in the B4A App "Configure Paths", 'C:\Program Files\Java..." is indicated as the Usual location.

Similarly, for the 'Android' folder, the on-line instructions suggest unpacking Tools & Resources in "C:\Android", but the App Configure Paths suggests "C:\android-sdk".
The 'android-sdk' folder suggestion also indicates an Android version specific folder e.g. 'Android-30', could one need multiple Android versions simultaneously installed?

Apart from these inconsistencies, I always try to keep the Root folder of my OS partition as clean as possible, with just the Windows installation folders and files. So I keep additions to a minimum, and have a 'Program Files (Other)' folder for pretty much everything that doesn't fit elsewhere.

What do other users find best?

Similarly for the folder structure for my projects. I expect to be creating B4A, B4J and B4R (maybe one day B4I too) projects. To get the best structure, how should I setup my folders e.g. 'Documents\B4XAllProjects' or 'Documents\B4XProjects\B4A' , '\Documents\B4XProjects\B4J' etc. Or some other structure?

Similarly, whatever structure I use for my project development, is there a best place to put 'AdditionalLibraries' within that folder structure?

I expect it doesn't matter much at a beginner lever, but I'm concerned that changing the structure around later might be complex.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm wondering how others do their B4X installations, if there is a "best" way. Specifically the installation folders and project folder structures.
Yes. Follow these instructions: https://www.b4x.com/b4a.html

Similarly, whatever structure I use for my project development, is there a best place to put 'AdditionalLibraries' within that folder structure?
Don't set the additional libraries folder in your project folder. It is a global setting.

Upvote 0

MikeSW17

Licensed User
Thanks Erel. I did indeed follow the linked instructions.
I raised the question as the B4A Configure Paths Screen offers different "Usually in..." hints just below each text box for the locations of Javac.exe & and android.jar.
As B4A 10.2 has recently been released, I was unsure if the App superseded the written instructions you link to. I take it, it does not.

As regards the second part of my question - the best folder structure for my Project storage (allowing for possible future code sharing across B4x targets), I guess I'll just have to learn as I go along.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
As regards the second part of my question - the best folder structure for my Project storage (allowing for possible future code sharing across B4x targets), I guess I'll just have to learn as I go along.
Create a new project with B4XPages template. Good structure for cross platform projects and recommended for all new projects.

Upvote 0

MikeSW17

Licensed User
Thanks Erel. I'd 'accidentally' tried a B4XPages project a while ago, and spotted (but didn't appreciate) the B4A/B4J/B4I sub-folders to my project. It left me slightly confused to say the least. Now I've gone back to a fresh install and the beginning of the learning curve (exp reading about B4XPages), it's beginning to make sense!

Upvote 0