Share My Creation Baby Name - Simple!

Hello everyone!

I would like to share my application "Baby Name - Simple!" made with Basic4Android. :icon_clap:

Here is the link : Baby Name - Simple!

This application helps you in finding a name for your baby. It can also be used to know a bit more on the meaning of you or your friends name. On this application I made good use of the SQLite Library and also worked a lot on Tablet / Phone versions. I really focused on making a simple application but with a nice design. I also worked on a custom dropdown list, so I could apply the colors I wanted in the foreground and background of the list.

I would appreciate any comments or critics. If you have any idea on how to make this application better, please share!

Regards

jmon

F790ZSrgLTdZpf8H9jl6dZzlc9HovTLXbG2wkg_CFDYTW0O_ZnBfKNaP2Wqp01_KXxfm

_QX2eK1bU1RpwvRvtWIjiSdhtCfZOwnHKHF8bFj722eLqX28U4F5S2X79NIWN9cOs7I

View attachment 17054

Attachments

• logo2_512_Prev.jpg
    logo2_512_Prev.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 3,740
Last edited:

NJDude

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Nice simple app, the design is minimalistic and clean.

I have a few issues:

1- If you change orientation to landscape on a tablet the buttons on the main menu do not work. (All origins, Boy & Girl, Go>, etc) they seem to work only on portrait.

2- Some names have strange characters, look at THIS and THIS

3- Some names have duplicates, for example "Edris", there are some more. (as you can see, the difference is the quotes).

4- You should add some kind of hint when someone taps on a field, for example, say I tapped on "Start with e.g. "An", the keyboard shows, then I tapped on "End with e.g. "a", I have no idea what's going on since nothing changes, to me, it seems the app is not working.

5- Execute the search when the ENTER key is pressed.

6- Add the number of names found to a label on top of the screen, that toast doesn't really help much.

7- Add a feature to search for a specific name, say, I want to know the meaning of the name "Emma", there's no way to do that.

Keep up the good work.

jmon

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,

Thanks a lot for testing the application for me! :sign0060:

1- Regarding the change of orientation, I will look into that. I tried the application on the virtual devices, on HTC Desire and Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and haven't been able to reproduce the bug.

2&3- I need to do some cleanup on the database! :sign0013:

4 - The idea of those two options are let's say you like names starting with "mi", so if you type "mi" in this field, then names like "Michael, Michel, Mick..." will come out. I guess I need to find a way to make it easier to understand.

5 - Good idea on the search on "ENTER" pressed

6 - I will change the toast

7 - That could be done with the "start with" option, if you "start with: emma", it works, but again it is not obvious to the user.

To summarize, I think I need also some kind of tutorial to explain the way the program works.

Thanks again! :icon_clap:

jmon

jmon

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

I uploaded (maybe you need to wait a few hours to see it on GoogPlay) a new version to google play, following your comments.

What I have fixed in this version (2):
* Removed some duplicate names
* Press "Enter" or "Done" in "Meaning/ Start with/ End With" will trigger the search
* Application size decreased from 3.5mb to (a bit less than) 2mb
* Added a visual hint of what input box is selected
* Fixed names with weird characters
* bug fixes and visual improvements
* Performance improvements

Thanks a lot for your comments NJDude, that helped a lot. I will still have to work on the Toast message thing. Also I understand what you meant on number 4, about the visual hint, and I think I made a good fix for that!

Regards
jmon :)

NJDude

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Nice!!

Now the app is looking better, but, there are still a few issues:

1- The landscape issue (see #1 on my previous report) happens on 7 inch tabs, THIS is how your app looks on a 7 inch tab, on a 10 inch tab works fine.

2- Some names still have strange characters, look HERE

3- After hitting ENTER or performing a search, hide the keyboard

jmon

Licensed User
Longtime User
Nice!!

Now the app is looking better, but, there are still a few issues:

1- The landscape issue (see #1 on my previous report) happens on 7 inch tabs, THIS is how your app looks on a 7 inch tab, on a 10 inch tab works fine.

2- Some names still have strange characters, look HERE

3- After hitting ENTER or performing a search, hide the keyboard

Hi,

Thanks again for your comments NJDude. It really helps. I totally forgot to try the application on 7inch tablet!.

I released a new version, where I fixed many things. I think the idea of the label at the top with the number of names was a great idea. I added a small icon next to it and it gives some continuity to the application.

I hope the issue with the 7 inch tablet is solved now. I don't own a 7 inch, so it's difficult to test on a real device, but on the emulator it works for me.

I also fixed the database, and hopefully, this time there are no weird characters anymore.

Next things I want to do now:
- Fix the listview to either have items with variable height or trim the second line when the definition is too long
- Add a star Icon, to be able to save names to favorites
- Share names to twitter, facebook etc...

Thanks again! :icon_clap:

April 26th, 2013
* New interface! Added more colors and a title that will show you how many names have been found
* Added support for 7 inch Tablets
* When doing a search, the keyboard will hide itself automatically
* Fixed names with weird character, the database should be ok now!

NJDude

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Cool, you have fixed the problems you had before.

In case you want to know, THIS is how it looks on a 7 inch tab.

Just some minor tweaks I would like to suggest:

1- The label on top, the one showing the number of names found, it could use a little bit more of separation, too close to the logo.

2- See if you can make the input a little better (maybe using the IME library) to "push" the editboxes when the keyboard is on the screen since as you can see HERE it obscures them.

Good job!

jmon

Licensed User
Longtime User
Cool, you have fixed the problems you had before.

In case you want to know, THIS is how it looks on a 7 inch tab.

Just some minor tweaks I would like to suggest:

1- The label on top, the one showing the number of names found, it could use a little bit more of separation, too close to the logo.

2- See if you can make the input a little better (maybe using the IME library) to "push" the editboxes when the keyboard is on the screen since as you can see HERE it obscures them.

Good job!
hi,

thanks for finding all those bugs. I just released a new version. hopefuly this one will be bug free.

i modified the separation between the logo and the title.
I fixed the problem with the keyboard on 7'' tablets. That one was tricky for me because I never use IME for that.
I also fixed the text wrapping problem in the listview on the second label.

something bothers me. when i open the app, the screen is black and we see the title for a second, before seeing the application with the blue bg. I have that on galaxy tab. Is there a way to remove this effect?

thanks again!

jmon

Last edited:

NJDude

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
...something bothers me. when i open the app, the screen is black and we see the title for a second, before seeing the application with the blue bg. I have that on galaxy tab. Is there a way to remove this effect?

thanks again!

jmon

Read THIS thread, you will see the workaround and also a few caveats.

jmon

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

Thanks for your quick answer.

I tried to do the trick to remove the title, but it created some problems with the buttons. The text of the buttons wasn't centered anymore in the button (vertically)

So I'll leave it like that for the moment until the devs find a better way to fix that.

Thanks
jmon