Back to the drawing board ......

Status
Not open for further replies.

taximania

Licensed User
Longtime User
I've terminated my last project. Don't ask :sign0148:

Learnt a lot of programming tricks though.
Especially from Erel's AddEvent tutorial, I was well pleased with myself.
It really saves a lot of coding.

specci48

Licensed User
Longtime User
Learning by doing! And still learning something more...

It's just the usual way:
Every time I have finished a project, put it away for a while, and then have a look at it again, I found tons of things which I could have done better...

Let's think positive! If we won't learn something more, were doing something wrong!

specci48

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
That's the beauty of hind-sight.

Regards,
RandomCoder

taximania

Licensed User
Longtime User
Latest email about my little deceased app :sign0142:

Dear Mr. ************,

Yes, my surname is that long :D
I Emailed then and asked who owned the licence for the PPC.

I am sorry to inform you that you may not offer the game to our licensees or anyone else.

This bit really made me laugh:
They didn't even tell me who owns the licence:sign0148:

Either way, we have already developed a game which we will use.

We wish you succes in any further game you may develop (as long as it does not infringe upon Endemol's rights).

Kind regards,
Benjamin van Werven
Legal Counsel
Endemol International B.V.
PO Box 678
1200 AR Hilversum

Mmmm, that sort of puts me in nowhere land :sign0161:

I may as well go out and steal/joyride cars every night.
It might be good fun. I can't write a game clone without getting sued :sign0137:

Erel/etc .dll providers, I love B4PPC. Keep up the good work.

Just for the laugh, here's a reply from a microsoft newsgroup.
I think you're smart not trying to sell/give it away right now, given the IP
stuff. I do think it's cool that non professional programmers like you are
developing for our platform and would like to see more apps out
there since that brings more users to WM devices, which brings more devs,
more users, etc...

My only advice is if you ever want to sell it in the US to get a picture of
Howie Mandell rather than that "random British person" and figure out how to
get your keyboard to spit out a "$" :).

Good luck with the app.

John

--
John Spaith
Senior Software Design Engineer
Windows CE Networking
Microsoft Corporation

http://blogs.msdn.com/cenet/.

Watch this space ........

I will return :sign0060:

colin9876

Licensed User
emailing micro$oft

Taxi,
many times I've tried to email microsoft about the lack of Plot fn in .Net librarys
never had reply but mayb never got to right person.
given ur contacts in the 'inner circle' do u have a contact email add for someone involed in the .Net lib design?

taximania

Licensed User
Longtime User
Taxi,
many times I've tried to email microsoft about the lack of Plot fn in .Net librarys
never had reply but mayb never got to right person.
given ur contacts in the 'inner circle' do u have a contact email add for someone involed in the .Net lib design?

'Inner Circle' :sign0095: I wish :-(

There are 2 microsoft newsgroups I post on sometimes.
Microsoft guys/gals also watch these groups.

Here's a link to one of them.
Do a search for the info you want first, it's an international microsoft forum and some posters can be a bit 'ahem, gobby to newbies'.

microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer

Last edited:

colin9876

Licensed User
wow - it is the inner circle lol!

well I posted my thoughts on that forum about a PLOT(x,y,color) function needed in .NET and Ive already had two people agree with me!
Perhaps I should stop moaning about disparities between Basic4ppc ppc and Desktop codings and .... take on Microsoft instead lol!

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
"If One is given a rock, don't try to build a palace with it...But use it to shape other rocks so that the result of all of them will be a house...."

Problably chineese, but....

colin9876

Licensed User
java comparison

my Boss says that Java & Flash can do a Plot(x,y),
do these languages go via .NET libs or do they communicate with Windows more directly?

Im trying to figure out how Java can do a plot(x,y) if there is no .NET command like that?

Last edited:

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
do these languages go via .NET libs or do they communicate with Windows more directly?
Neither have anything to do with .NET. Java is a sort of competitor in that it is based on a Virtual Machine but .NET has a much broader sweep of intended use. Microsoft Silverlight, a sort of Flash competitor is based upon a stripped down .NET Common Language Runtime. If you Google around and search Wikipedia you will find out a lot about these technologies.

Im trying to figure out how Java can do a plot(x,y) if there is no .NET command like that?
You keep banging on about .NET when you should really be talking about B4ppc. .NET has a rich graphic environment offering a subset of DirectX, Direct3D and GDI on the device. GDI+ and full Mmanaged DirectXx is available for .NET on the desktop but DirectX is deprecated and replaced by XNA on the desktop and Xbox360. These environments are extremely capable and can provide world class graphics capabilities. Most of that is not exposed in B4ppc to keep things simple. There is a steep learning curve to use these environments to their full.

The B4ppc ImageLib exposes a lot of what GDI can do and what is available is also a subset of GDI+ on the desktop.

In what way is SetPixel for a Bitmap not a Plot function?

colin9876

Licensed User
banging on lol!

I keep banging on about .NET because I know the device has a compact .NET framework which leads me to the other topic I keep banging on about .... PPC not desktop emphasis ...

Given that I want to use my code on the device, do all these lovely graphical alternatives you mention have an implementation in WindowsMobile?

Im sure all this stuff like Siverlight / directX / 3D Wizradry or whatever is only for the desktop???

Correct me if Im wrong? I just thought there was only Compact .Net on the Windows Mobile OS and thats why I wanted a PLOT function in .NET

Last edited:

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Correct me if Im wrong? I just thought there was only Compact .Net on the Windows Mobile OS and thats why I wanted a PLOT function in .NET
You are totally wrong and appear to be totally ignorant of the Windows architecture. I don't know why you keep referring to .NET capability, you are not interacting with .NET you are interacting with B4ppc which exposes a simplified sub-set of .NET. You cannot see what else is implemented in .NET outside of B4ppc because it is not exposed.

Windows Mobile, like XP and Vista is a native mode operating system largely written in C/C++ (NOT C# - do you know the difference by now?) whose primary API is the Win32 API which implements literally thousands of unmanaged C type function calls to do a wide range of OS assisted functions. The .NET Common Language Runtime is a managed code guest to, and relies on, the underlying unmanaged OS and so is itself a subset of the full unmanaged OS. Why don't you do some research and learn about these things for yourself before exposing your ignorance?

directX / 3D Wizrdary or whatever is only for the desktop???
Wrong. I already told you the device can do DirectX and Direct3D - albeit only to DirectX8 standards as the devices lack hardware accelerated graphics on which DirectX9 relies.

Last edited:

colin9876

Licensed User
illogical world ...

well I may not know the finer points of OS implementation but on pure logic it cant be right that line(0,0,0,0) draws no pixels whilst line(0,0,1,0) draws two!

That inconsistency lies with the .NET call - you never got that problem with Sinclair Basic where line(0,0,0,0) would plot (0,0) !

The reason why theres no form1.plot(x,y,color) in Basic4ppc is because theres not one in .NET to expose

Windows is very good at carrying loads of baggage but leaving out the basics. For example in XP & Vista, Windows Media and Media center cant pay DivX / Avi files - the most common format!!. You HAVE to go and find extra codecs first ... Makes me think there are some very illogical people at Micro$oft.

The only thing that brought me back to Windows was that Linux was actually worse lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.