Basic4Android development on the Device?

colin9876

Licensed User
With the old Basic4ppc you could develop and run apps on the device itself.

Have I missed something, is a device running Basic4Android available or is it only desktop development now?
If so could this be a Wishlist item???

JesseW

Licensed User
Longtime User
@colin: see this thread http://www.b4x.com/forum/bugs-wishlist/6792-device-development.html

@Erel: you have another supporter of an android basic interpreter. Being a truck driver, I have my phone with me always. At shippers, receivers, truck stops, restaurants, etc... my big, heavy 17" Dell, not so much. Its a monster. More like a mobile desktop :) I saw agrahams lib in the above thread link, but im so new to android, I wouldn't know what to do with it. For now im using the Mintoris interpreter, but it lacks the power and features I crave. Im so glad to see you enter the android market! Wishing you the best!

Jesse

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I saw agrahams lib in the above thread link, but im so new to android, I wouldn't know what to do with it.
Have a play with it. The included demo is a full-blown device IDE that can load, save and edit and run programs and there is a load of very simple sample scripts and a comprehensive help for the language so you don't have to program anything to try it. However it has no I/O or graphics as I intended that calls to the hosting application would provide whatever such capabilities were required in a given situation.

JesseW

Licensed User
Longtime User
Have a play with it. The included demo is a full-blown device IDE...

Thanks guy. I was having a problem getting the hello world program to compile, but it was just a freak. I deleted the program, re-entered it and it compiled, so we are out of neutral and into first gear now :)

So I downloaded your lib, placed the folder in my code directory, loaded the b4a file into the editor, clicked the run icon, and got the following...

---------------
Compiling code. Error
Error parsing program.
Error description: Unknown type: basiclib
Are you missing a library reference?
Occurred on line: 5
Dim Blib As BasicLib
---------------

did i forget to do something? sorry, i'm a basic coder, and all this java stuff like object references and so many files and references in so many places is just killing me... :sign0013:

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It should come up with BasicLib checked unless you haven't moved the xml and jar files to your additional libraries folder in which care there will not be an entry for BasicLib on the Libraries tab.

@Erel - that's a sort of bug. The IDE doen't complain if a library that is referenced in the b4a file header does not exist :(

JesseW

Licensed User
Longtime User
Agraham, I totally spaced the readme file. I just didn't see it before. I will try again tonight when I can. Many thanks :)

Ps. Is the additional libraries folder you mntiin the one pointed to in tools/paths?