Basic4Pi

hdtvirl

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel, did you ever consider creating Basic for the Raspberry Pi ?.

According to Eben Upton they will have over 400K of these units out there and as most of these are in Education or Home users, there might be a Market for you to create a version of B4A/PPC for the Raspberry Pi.

It does support Java run time.

Getting Started with Java SE Embedded on the Raspberry Pi

Raspberry Pi Official site.

Raspberry Pi | An ARM GNU/Linux box for $25. Take a byte!.

I look froward to your response.

Regards

BOB

Last edited:

hdtvirl

Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel, It was just a thought as I would really love to be able to use the Basic4xxx on it as a Rapid Application Development Tool.

It would be nice to be able to write code on the PC, Compile it and download to the Raspberry PI and see it run straight away, or have your RAD Tool generate the Java download it to the device and then compile it on the R-Pi at a command line.

I am pretty sure we would all prefer to see B4IOS first.

Regards

BOB.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hdtvirl

Licensed User
Longtime User
Keirs, Yes you are correct a very cheap test platform, If they ever get Android working and released on the R-Pi this would be fantastic as there are loads of embedded application it would be perfect for.

I bought one thinking it would have Android ported before I got delivery of it, I ordered one from Farnell UK on 09/10/12 and a week later I had a 512MB version delivered. They originally said it might be the end of October as they were awaiting new deliveries. If I can write B4A apps for this device that would be FAB !!!!

Once Android is port I am sure you won't be able to get one for 'Love nor Money' as they say.

I must say you get a lot for your €42.00 HDMI/USB/Ethernet etc.

Regards

BOB

Upvote 0

Derek Johnson

Licensed User
Longtime User
One way of running B4A apps on Raspberry PI which might work. I haven't tried it - likely to have problems talking to PI hardware though.

1. Install Chromium on PI
  2. Install ARChon Custom Runtime on PI as Chromium Extension
  3. Install ARChon package on Android device (phone/tablet)
  4. Compile your B4A app to Android device
  5. Create APK with ARChon package
  6. Copy to PI
  7. Install B4A package from unpacked APK
  8. Run in App in Chromium

Upvote 0

coslad

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think even that "banana pi" is more interesting , on it you can run android or linux

Upvote 0