Basic4ppc vs Other Basic Apps?

ArchiMark

Licensed User
Greetings,

Recently discovered Basic4ppc....looks good from what I can see so far...

Wondering if anyone can comment on how it works (pros & cons) versus some other Basic apps such as NSBasic/CE?

I'm mainly interested in how well it works on a PDA as opposed to the desktop PC IDE...as I want to learn when I have time here and there, inbetween meetings, etc. So, the idea of being able to use my instant on, very portable HTC X7501 is very appealing to me...

Not saying that I'd never code on PC, but it would be less often.

Also, would be interested to know what documentation, tutorials, etc are available for code noobs like me?

Thanks for any and all input!

Mark

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
Welcome ArchiMark,

I am a bit of a novice myself but have found B4PPC relatively easy to pick up. The help file is very intuitive and often gives an example to assist with the understanding. There's also plenty of examples, both with the installation and here on the forum, that demonstrate how to accomplish a multitude of tasks.
I've never regretted buying it and continue to learn through trial and error plus the assistance from other members of this forum.

For me at least, I am glad that I came across B4PPC!

Regards,
RandomCoder

ArchiMark

Licensed User
Thanks for the welcome and helpful info, RandomCoder.

Appreciate it!

Meanwhile, any others care to chime in on this???

Mark

BjornF

Licensed User
Longtime User
I agree with RandomCoder, I think Basic4ppc is very accessible and easy to learn even for me (I have only a very basic background in early versions of Visual Basic). The inclusion of the different libraries makes it a flexible solution.

I do find it much easier to code on the Pc, but that is mainly due to the small screen of my PDA - it is perfectly possible, especially if you have an external keyboard.

The forum is also very helpful, and fast in responding!

Off topic: how do you like your HTC 7501?

all the best,

Björn

I tried PocketZeus some time ago. Both environments are very similar, but basic4ppc offers full functionality even in the unregistered version. Thats what I like most about it - you can code everything, and when you did something cool and you want to distribute it, just buy a license.
PocketZeus and some others are more like "pay and try afterwards"

ArchiMark

Licensed User
THANKS for All the Input!

Thanks guys for all the great input so far!

Appreciate it!

Mark

:sign0087:

ArchiMark

Licensed User
I agree with RandomCoder, I think Basic4ppc is very accessible and easy to learn even for me (I have only a very basic background in early versions of Visual Basic). The inclusion of the different libraries makes it a flexible solution.

I do find it much easier to code on the Pc, but that is mainly due to the small screen of my PDA - it is perfectly possible, especially if you have an external keyboard.

The forum is also very helpful, and fast in responding!

Off topic: how do you like your HTC 7501?

all the best,

Björn

Thanks for your input Bjorn....

As for my new HTC X7501.... it's FANTASTIC! at least for me....

Great balance between power, size and portabilibity.

Physical design works very well much better than I thought...keyboard while very small is usable, just takes a day to get used to how it works. 5" Display is sharp, bright too. Even comes with very nice brown leather case...

Having built-in WiFi, BT is great. I don't use it as phone so done have SIM card in it...just wanted it as PDA....

Not cheap but for me it's worth it...Got mine at pretty good price $900 at TigerDirect.com....they had them in stock and got it quickly...

HTH,

Mark