B4J Question Best way to get closest devices to a known GeoPoint?

vfafou

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello!
I have a web socket push framework with automatic tablet coordinates update. I'm using MariaDB 10.1.
I' ve noticed that if randomly ~200+ concurrent devices try to update their coords, I have an extended table wait lock which by condition would have a very long duration. The result is a very slow performance of the web socket server.
After this experience, I'm looking for another way to store coordinates and retrieve the closest to a point devices.
Is the map or list object proper to do that?
Is a new class with Longitude and Latitude properties (and any other property as filter) a better object for my case?
Is there any fast and reliable algorithm, to get the closest to a point devices?
Thank you in advance!

vfafou

Licensed User
Longtime User
I've found that I had the setMaxPoolSize parameter and the max_connections of the database set to 600. When I set the values to 800, I noticed that the number of connections to the database could be ~750. Now, I have the value increased to 1000 and I don't see any problem.
My only issue is: how can 450 devices open 750 connections to the database? I ask because every connection I open from the web socket server, I close it when transaction is done!

Upvote 0

vfafou

Licensed User
Longtime User
Related to this post:
https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/t...ections-with-mysql-mariadb.61746/#post-389718
I think that the problem caused from this behaviour of the connection pooling.
If I let it handle the connections, the result is opening a new connection with every SQL = pool.GetConnection
If this is not the normal behavior, then I've done something wrong.
I have a global SQL object for every web socket connection thread. In every procedure I need to open the database, I do:
B4X:
SQL = pool.GetConnection
'Queries, Updates, etc...
SQL.Close
If there is a procedure called inside another procedure and uses SQL object, then I do:
B4X:
SQL = pool.GetConnection
SQL.ExecQuery(...)
updOtherTable(SQL,...)
SQL.Close
Where updOtherTable(SQL,...) is:
B4X:
Sub updOtherTable(TSQL As SQL, TabName As String)
   TSQL.ExecNonQuery("Update " & TabName & " Set C1 = 0")
   'I don't give a TSQL.Close because I think that it will close the global SQL object! Is that true?
End Sub

Thank you in advance!

Upvote 0

vfafou

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello Erel!
Thank you for your reply.
All devices connected to the websocket server, do a ping every 10 seconds. With every ping, I do an update of the coordinates of the devices.
I have ~450 concurrent devices connected. I suppose that every device must make one connection to the database.
Watching the DB open processes from a front-end tool like SQLyog or HeidiSQL, some times the processes are more than the devices.
I've seen ~750 processes for ~450 devices. This is the reason I've increased the max_connections of the DB.
Before increasing, the websocket server hanged the pool and closed all connections. The server worked correctly again, only when I stopped and started the application. This is the actual problem.
Now, I have changed temporarily my code to do:
B4X:
If not(SQL.IsInitialized) Then SQL = pool.GetConnection
and I haven't noticed any problem! It does not create more connections than the number of the devices.
The wait_timeout variable of the DB has the value 45 (seconds).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vfafou

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello Erel!
Thank you for your reply. It's the 6th contiguous day the server works without any stop/start. So I think that there it's a MariaDB pool managing issue, or something is wrong with my settings!

Upvote 0