Better Search..

MrKim

Licensed User
Longtime User
TMI :). There is now so much information here it is getting hard to find what I am looking for. The search engine seems to just pull up by every word in the search string without regard to context or order. For example I frequently find at the top of the search results in which one of my search words is a part of one of the words I type.
Just as an example I typed in 'view properties'. That exact phrase doesn't show up until the third page of the results. My recent search for "listview.bringtofront not working" the second item in the results was an iOS Tutorial on Firebase notifications that had only the word working deep down in the comments.

I sometimes resort to Google and typing B4J and then my search string.

Thinking, again, that maybe I am missing something, I just did a search for search thinking perhaps there is a tutorial on how to search Anywhere but it didn't turn up anythiing.

I realize this may be out of your hands, I don't know, just thought I would mention it.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
The search engine seems to just pull up by every word in the search string without regard to context or order
That's incorrect.

The search engine powering this site is a custom built engine based on lucene. It uses many parameters to find and sort the search results.
I use it all the time and I think that it is quite good. Better than 99% of the site search solutions you will find.
It can always be improved.

Currently searching for "listview.bringtofront not working" returns your thread as the first result. This is good. I can't think of any other relevant thread that could have been returned to this query.

The real issue that you were trying to solve has nothing to do with listview. It is about the buttons elevation.
If you would have searched for: https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/pages/results/?query=b4a+buttons+above then the second search result would have lead you to the solution (there are other threads there with the same solution).
Searching for "zorder" would have also point you in the right direction.
The same for "bring to front".

I sometimes resort to Google and typing B4J and then my search string.
You cannot compare Google to any other search engine in the world. Still in most cases you will get better results in the site search, especially if you are custom to it.
Tip: adding "not working" or similar phrases will only make the results less accurate. There is no deep semantic analysis feature in the site search engine.

I realize this may be out of your hands,
I wrote it myself and it is improved from time to time.

Last edited:

MrKim

Licensed User
Longtime User
That's incorrect.

The search engine powering this site is a custom built engine based on lucene. It uses many parameters to find and sort the search results.
I use it all the time and I think that it is quite good. Better than 99% of the site search solutions you will find.
It can always be improved.

Currently searching for "listview.bringtofront not working" returns your thread as the first result. This is good. I can't think of any other relevant thread that could have been returned to this query.

The real issue that you were trying to solve has nothing to do with listview. It is about the buttons elevation.
If you would have searched for: https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/pages/results/?query=b4a+buttons+above then the second search result would have lead you to the solution (there are other threads there with the same solution).
Searching for "zorder" would have also point you in the right direction.
The same for "bring to front".

You cannot compare Google to any other search engine in the world. Still in most cases you will get better results in the site search, especially if you are custom to it.
Tip: adding "not working" or similar phrases will only make the results less accurate. There is no deep semantic analysis feature in the site search engine.

I wrote it myself and it is improved from time to time.

I am impressed as hell you can do that. I wouldn't even begin to know how to write a decent search engine. Part of this is my own frustration... I have know for years I just do not seem to think the same as other when it comes to searches:p. It would never have occurred to me to try buttons above, although in retrospect it makes perfect sense. More than once I have searched in vain for something for, literally, days. I will mention it to a friend and he will say "Oh, try this...." and up will come the results I am looking for.

Keep up the wonderful work.

GaryK4

Licensed User
Longtime User
Is there a way to search just one thread instead of the entire forum?
I tried searching for CellProps , then telling it B4A only, but that did not work for me.

Am I doing something wrong?

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
You cannot search a specific thread. The filter options are:

SS-2017-12-10_09.07.40.png