B4A Library BleExtended

Hello,

I made some additions into Ble Library (write, notifications) and Erel asked me to post the extended library here. I made those additions to get my prototype working, so it is not necessarily of production quality but anayway works well for me just now.

I use this library exactly as the original one (+ additons of course) and I compile it with SimpleLibraryCompiler. It has same name and version number as the original.

The library source code is in the zip file.

Attachments

• BleManager.zip
    3.5 KB · Views: 1,192

KY Leng

Licensed User
Longtime User
Good morning mh42,

Thank for updating the library. Since the first release of BLE library, I could not event find my HM-10 (My phone is LG-E975 updated to Android 4.4.2 and it work with some app from Google Play Store).
Now, with your new library, I could not successfully compile the code to test. I got the error as shown below:

Parsing code. 0.00
Compiling code. 0.03
Compiling layouts code. 0.00
Generating R file. 0.02
Compiling generated Java code. Error
B4A line: 93
s = Services.GetValueAt(i)
javac 1.7.0_71
src\b4a\example\main.java:532: error: cannot find symbol
_s.setObject((android.bluetooth.BluetoothGattService)(_services.GetValueAt(_i)));
^
symbol: class BluetoothGattService
1 error

I test it with both last extended library of your.
Could you please tell me what is the problem ? I do not know Java.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon,

Best regards.

Now I can solve the problem of compiling the code by using the API 18.
However, I still cannot connect my phone (LG-E975) with HM-10 BLE.
In the log file, I can only see my Sony Watch and the log is as below:

NotificationPosted, package = com.sonymobile.smartconnect.smartwatch2, id = 4, text = SmartWatch 2 disconnected

(Bundle) Bundle[{android.title=SmartWatch 2, android.subText=null, android.showChronometer=false, android.icon=2130837649, android.text=Disconnected, android.progress=0, android.progressMax=0, android.showWhen=true, android.infoText=null, android.progressIndeterminate=false, android.scoreModified=false}]
Title = SmartWatch 2
** Service (notificationservice) Start **
NotificationRemoved, package = com.sonymobile.smartconnect.smartwatch2, id = 1, text = SmartWatch 2 connected

BLUE4LED, 00:17:EA:92:D6:7F

Connecting...

Discovering services.

NotificationRemoved, package = com.sonymobile.smartconnect.smartwatch2, id = 4, text = SmartWatch 2 disconnected

NotificationPosted, package = com.sonymobile.smartconnect.smartwatch2, id = 1, text = SmartWatch 2 connected
(Bundle) Bundle[{android.title=SmartWatch 2, android.subText=null, android.showChronometer=false, android.icon=2130837651, android.text=Connected, android.progress=0, android.progressMax=0, android.showWhen=true, android.infoText=null, android.progressIndeterminate=false, android.scoreModified=false}]

Title = SmartWatch 2

and so on...

Do you have any idea ?

Best regards,

KY Leng

Licensed User
Longtime User
Good morning mh42,

If I use the latest library (BleExtEx_1_10.zip), I got the following log:

Start Discover
BLUE4LED, 00:17:EA:92:D6:7F
Connecting...
inlib onConnectionStateChange 133 2
Discovering services.

I do not know what is the reason that I cannot connect to my HM-10 BLE.

Best regards,

KY Leng

Licensed User
Longtime User
Good morning Erel,

I try the library of mh42. If I change the code on line 73
to: Manager.Connect(MacAddress, True)

I can connect but with error as below

** Activity (main) Create, isFirst = true **
** Activity (main) Resume **

Start Discover

HMSoft, 00:17:EA:92:CD:CE

Connecting...
inlib onConnectionStateChange 0 2

Discovering services.
Connected

Service[0]: 00001800-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb

C[0] : Uuid 00002a00-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb
C[0]: Permissions
C[0]: Properties READ
C[0]: WriteType TYPE_DEFAULT
C[1] : Uuid 00002a01-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb
C[1]: Permissions
C[1]: Properties READ
C[1]: WriteType TYPE_DEFAULT
C[2] : Uuid 00002a02-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb
C[2]: Permissions
C[2]: Properties READ WRITE
C[2]: WriteType TYPE_DEFAULT
C[3] : Uuid 00002a03-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb
C[3]: Permissions
C[3]: Properties READ WRITE
C[3]: WriteType TYPE_DEFAULT
C[4] : Uuid 00002a04-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb
C[4]: Permissions
C[4]: Properties READ
C[4]: WriteType TYPE_DEFAULT
Service[1]: 00001801-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb
C[0] : Uuid 00002a05-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb
C[0]: Properties EXTENDED_INDICATE
Service[2]: 0000ffe0-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb
C[0] : Uuid 0000ffe1-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb
C[0]: Properties NOTIFY READ WRITE
AanzahlServices3
Service[2]: 0000ffe0-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb
read: 0000ffe1-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb

java.util.NoSuchElementException
at java.util.LinkedHashMap$LinkedHashIterator.nextEntry(LinkedHashMap.java:350)
at java.util.LinkedHashMap$EntryIterator.next(LinkedHashMap.java:376)
at java.util.LinkedHashMap$EntryIterator.next(LinkedHashMap.java:374)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.objects.collections.Map$MyMap.getEntry(Map.java:215)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.objects.collections.Map$MyMap.getValue(Map.java:198)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.objects.collections.Map.GetValueAt(Map.java:106)
at b4a.example.main._ble_connected(main.java:453)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:515)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.BA.raiseEvent2(BA.java:175)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.BA$3.run(BA.java:320)
at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:733)
at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:95)
at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:136)
at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:5476)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:1268)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:1084)
at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)
java.util.NoSuchElementException

ble_CharacteristicRead

Data: 0
Message 0
write Val : 0

And I also see the error message box on the phone. If I ignore and click 'Continue',
and then click button 'Send', I see the error as below again:

java.lang.RuntimeException: Object should first be initialized (BleCharacteristic).
at anywheresoftware.b4a.AbsObjectWrapper.getObject(AbsObjectWrapper.java:49)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.objects.BleManager$GattCharacteristic.SetIntValue(BleManager.java:457)
at b4a.example.main._button3_click(main.java:694)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.BA.raiseEvent2(BA.java:163)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.BA.raiseEvent(BA.java:159)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.objects.ViewWrapper$1.onClick(ViewWrapper.java:77)
at android.view.View.performClick(View.java:4640)
at android.view.View$PerformClick.run(View.java:19421)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:1268)
java.lang.RuntimeException: Object should first be initialized (BleCharacteristic).

Message 0
write Val : 0

at anywheresoftware.b4a.AbsObjectWrapper.getObject(AbsObjectWrapper.java:49)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.objects.BleManager$GattCharacteristic.SetIntValue(BleManager.java:457)
at b4a.example.main._button3_click(main.java:694)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.BA.raiseEvent2(BA.java:163)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.BA.raiseEvent(BA.java:159)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.objects.ViewWrapper$1.onClick(ViewWrapper.java:77)
at android.view.View.performClick(View.java:4640)
at android.view.View$PerformClick.run(View.java:19421)

When I try to disconnect, it is OK.

Disconenct OK

inlib onConnectionStateChange 0 0

_disconnect
Close OK
ble_Disconnected

So, could you please tell me what is the problem? I try with 2 phones (Samsung SM-P601, and LG-E975) and it is the same. I try to change the SDK to APK Level 20, and it is still the same.
My Android version is version 4.4.2 (both of them).

If I try with app on Play Store (Blue Light), it can send the data to HM-10 BLE.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon,
Best regards,

KY Leng

Licensed User
Longtime User
OK, Erel,

For HM-10, I change the code in the Sub ble_Connected as below:

n = 2
Log ("AanzahlServices" & Services.Size)
s = Services.GetValueAt(n)
Log("Service[" & n & "]: " & Services.GetKeyAt(n))

cr = 0
c = s.GetCharacteristics.GetValueAt(cr)
Log("read: " & c.Uuid)
Manager.ReadCharacteristic(c)
Manager.SetCharacteristicNotification(c, True)

cw = 0
cwrite = s.GetCharacteristics.GetValueAt(cw)
Log("Cwrite: " & cwrite.Uuid)

And everything is fine.
Now, I can send x from [0 to 255]
but I don't know whether we can only send data 1 byte a time or can send string as well.

Hope this can be a help for other who have the same problem as me.

Best regards.

bioident

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have a problem.
I use BLE Extended library.

I don't get characteristic from BLE Device.
This is a Log:

(Main, 31) FullScreen or IncludeTitle properties in layout file do not match the activity attributes settings. (warning #1004)
BLE Supported: true
null, D6:FC:13:0F:37:5D
Connecting...
Discovering services.

Phone: Samsung S5 , Android: 4.4.2

KY Leng

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have a problem.
I use BLE Extended library.

I don't get characteristic from BLE Device.
This is a Log:

(Main, 31) FullScreen or IncludeTitle properties in layout file do not match the activity attributes settings. (warning #1004)
BLE Supported: true
null, D6:FC:13:0F:37:5D
Connecting...
Discovering services.

Phone: Samsung S5 , Android: 4.4.2

For me, I change the code on line 73 (without any modification of the example from mh42)
to: Manager.Connect(MacAddress, True)

and it solve my problem.

KY Leng

Licensed User
Longtime User
With the library from mh42, now I can send the data as stated in post #84 of mine.
However, I got some problem when sending string (just about 10 to 20 characters).

When I cut the string and send it one by one, it is fine but with the constraint that
I must put the timer to send not faster than 200ms interval => slow.

Moreover, it cannot receive data send from MCU to the HM-10 BLE module with normal 9600 bps rate.

Anyone know how to deal with this problem?

The attached project is workable with slow speed data (1 character every 200ms).
Hope this can help some other too.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Bluetooth-USART-Serial Terminal-BLE.zip
    28 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:

gelay

Licensed User
Longtime User
With the library from mh42, now I can send the data as stated in post #84 of mine.
However, I got some problem when sending string (just about 10 to 20 characters).

When I cut the string and send it one by one, it is fine but with the constraint that
I must put the timer to send not faster than 200ms interval => slow.

Moreover, it cannot receive data send from MCU to the HM-10 BLE module with normal 9600 bps rate.

Anyone know how to deal with this problem?

The attached project is workable with slow speed data (1 character every 200ms).
Hope this can help some other too.

Thank you in advance.

Hi there

For speed up the write process you should use write without response method (if the characteristic supports it) the default is "write with response".

B4X:
 cwrite = s.GetCharacteristics.GetValueAt(cw)  ' the second characteristic is the write characteristic
       Log("Cwrite: " & cwrite.uuid)

Connect = cstateConnect

cwrite.WriteType = 1 'write without response

Now we are using our own BLE module with our own firmware on it and we are able to send with the speed up to 56700kbps, the ble packet size is limited to 20 bytes so don't even try to send more in one package or you have to split it, as we do.... but if you send only 1 byte in the package your throughput will be 1/20...so....

KY Leng

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi there

For speed up the write process you should use write without response method (if the characteristic supports it) the default is "write with response".

B4X:
 cwrite = s.GetCharacteristics.GetValueAt(cw)  ' the second characteristic is the write characteristic
       Log("Cwrite: " & cwrite.uuid)

Connect = cstateConnect

cwrite.WriteType = 1 'write without response

Now we are using our own BLE module with our own firmware on it and we are able to send with the speed up to 56700kbps, the ble packet size is limited to 20 bytes so don't even try to send more in one package or you have to split it, as we do.... but if you send only 1 byte in the package your throughput will be 1/20...so....

Thank you very much gelay,

Now, it work fine for sending, however, I still have problem when there are many HM-10 BLE active at the same time, because in the example of mh42, there is no code to retrieve all the MAC address into the list as Erel did for normal Bluetooth library.
Another big problem is that: It take very long time to connect with the HM-10 and connect/disconnect cannot be made so quick. I do not know whether it is the behaviors of the BLE or Android OS because the same HM-10 BLE can connect/disconnect with the iPhone very quick.

Thank you again.
Best regards,

CHK

Licensed User
Longtime User
I now have the BLE library running perfectly with the Microchip RN4020 BTLE module. It implements a read characteristic, write characteristic, and notify characteristic. Each of the characteristics are private characteristics. Everything is working great! The App performs real time graphing from the data received and also control LED's on the target board. I will be putting together a presentation to describe the entire project, including the C code that is on a Microchip PIC24 that communicates with the RN4020. I am using a Microchip Explorer16 board with a RN4020 PicTail for the target.

I am working on a converter box, which shall translate commands received via BLE from an Android smartphone to other communication protocols. The converter box will use a Microchip RN4020 module. When I first read Denny Hopp's post, I was thinking ... done deal, I just have to sit and wait … But unfortunately the clients were pressing and I had to use my own brains. With the help of this forum and thanks to my predecessors in this thread, I finally figured out how to set up the RN4020 and how to connect to it via my smartphone. Now I want to share my experiences so far, perhaps paying back some of the debts I owe to others here.

I use a Microchip RN4020 PICTAIL (photo attached). It consists of a RN4020 module which can be accessed via an USB connection. I have connected it to my PC (Win7, 32 bit) and it installed as COM Port, without any problems. As terminal software I use Termite 2.9 by CompuPhase. With this I can send and receive data to and from the module, in particular commands to configure the module as needed, via USB.

The other part of my development setup forms a Samsung Galaxy S 3 neo, with a terminal app I have written, using mkh42's blueSenddata_V2 example as a template (many thanks to him). With this I write and read strings of bytes to and from the RN4020, via BLE.

At first I wanted to use the MLDP feature of the RN4020, which is said to allow a kind of direct data connection. But due to the almost total lack of information from Microchip on this subject, I could not figure out, how to use it. So I did it the classic way using a private service. The maximum length of one transmission is therefore limited to 20 bytes. Longer strings are not supported by the RN4020. In my project this does not matter.

The details can be learned from the attachments to this post:
  • Description how to set up the RN4020 module
  • Screenshot of the terminal app
  • The B4A project of the terminal app. The app can send and receive raw byte and hex data. I have tried to comment the source code as much as feasible.
  • Screenshot of the B4A log after a successful connection
RN4020_PICTAIL.JPG B4A_Terminal_App.JPG B4A_Terminal_Log.JPG

Best regards, CHK

After working a while with the BLE Terminal, I realized, that my conversion of bytes to string is not correct. It works fine for byte values below 128, but for values between 128 - 255 the conversion is false. The reason is, that I have used the function StringToBytes from the ByteConverter library. This conversion is done using a certain encoding, and the encoding I have chosen translates byte values above 127 into 2 byte strings. Unfortunately I could not find another encoding, which does the translation in the desired way. So I changed the BLE Terminal at this point. I do no longer use the SetStringValue function, but the SetIntValue function, writing consecutive int values instead of a single string. The conversion of read bytes above 127 back into characters for displaying still remains a bit arbitrary, depending on the encoding used.

I post here a second version BLE_Term_2 with the corrected conversion routines.

Regards, CHK

Attachments

• RN4020_setup.pdf
    223.3 KB · Views: 284
  • BLE_Terminal.zip
    397.3 KB · Views: 339
  • BLE_Term_2.zip
    8.3 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:

bioident

Licensed User
Longtime User
i fixed the problem down. It was again an error it in the BleSendData example and not in the library. The state handling in the example was not sufficient.
It is very important if you use BleManager that you track your state properly.
Example given: after you call Manger.Connect(MacAddress) you have to take care that you never call Manger.Connect again before you call Manger.disconnect and Manager.close.

That's what could happen in the BleSendData example and made the problems. I now implement a proper state tracking and the problems are gone.

I also extend the BleExtEx lib (now Version 1.10) with Rssi Tracking if you are interested.
To use it take a look in the BleSendData_V2 example. You can only get rssi from a device you are connected to. You can choose the interval Rssi is updated. Default is 2000ms but you can change this value with a call to the new SetRssiTrackingInterval method.

I made a change in BleExtEx which is very important to know about if you now call Manager.disconnect there is no automatic call to Manager.Close anymore.
Therfore you should normally place a call to Manager.Close in the disconnect callback.
This is for future use because then it is possible to implement a quick connect/disconnect and one is a bit more flexible in this point perhaps to call the mentioned refresh method to solve some fancy problems. (see some posts above)

The manager.refresh method as I just stated is also implemented in the BleExtEx v1.10 but was not necessary to solve my problem.

@Sdulolo: unfortunately I do not own a Android 5 phone until now so testing would be a little bit difficult. Can you tell me the features you are interested in ?

greetings
mkh42

Hi,

I get error like this:

LogCat connected to: B4A-Bridge: samsung SM-G900F
--------- beginning of /dev/log/main
Installing file.
** Activity (main) Pause, UserClosed = false **
PackageAdded: package:b4a.example
(Main, 43) FullScreen or IncludeTitle properties in layout file do not match the activity attributes settings. (warning #1004)
Start Discover
null, DE:0A:8B:E2:9B:4B
Connecting...
inlib onConnectionStateChange 133 2
Discovering services.

Why ?

CHK

Licensed User
Longtime User
Why I have this problem?
what should I to do ?

Hi Bioident,

what errors do you mean ? You posted the beginning of the program log. There are no error messages in it (besides the warning #1004). Does the program get stuck after displaying these messages ? Or what else ?

About warning #1004 you can find all kind of informations by searching for 'warning #1004' in this forum.

Regards, CHK

bioident

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

I try use BLE_Term_2 but I get errors.
Why ? What is wrong .
########################################
Installing file.
PackageAdded: package:BLE2.terminal
Start Discover
null, D6:FC:13:0F:37:8D
Connecting...
null, CC:9F:4F:E4:2F:45
Connecting...
inlib onConnectionStateChange 133 0
Close failed gatt is null
ble_Disconnected
###################################################

CHK

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

I try use BLE_Term_2 but I get errors.
Why ? What is wrong .
########################################
Installing file.
PackageAdded: package:BLE2.terminal
Start Discover
null, D6:FC:13:0F:37:8D
Connecting...
null, CC:9F:4F:E4:2F:45
Connecting...
inlib onConnectionStateChange 133 0
Close failed gatt is null
ble_Disconnected
###################################################

Hi bioident,

seems that you cannot connect to your device. Your log reports 2 devices as found. BLE-Terminal tries to connect to the first one (see line 111 in source code). Are you sure, the first device found is the correct one ? If it is the correct one, you have probably not set up the correct characteristics in the device (see line 128 in source code). The code, as it is, requires an exact setup of the bluetooth device you want to connect with (see line 5 of the source). You have to exactly match the setup of the device and the provisions in the source code. It is a development tool after all, not a finalized program.

Regards,

CHK

Philip Prins

Licensed User
Longtime User
I would like to retrieve the RSSI while discovering;

Public Constructors
public ScanResult (BluetoothDevice device, ScanRecord scanRecord, int rssi, long timestampNanos)

Added in API level 21
Constructor of scan result.

Parameters
device Remote bluetooth device that is found.
scanRecord Scan record including both advertising data and scan response data.
rssi Received signal strength.
timestampNanos Device timestamp when the scan result was observed.

Is this possible, now i have to connect to retrieve the RSSI.

Regards
Philip

tmav

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am also interesting for retrieving the RSSI during BLE discovery.
Is this possible with this or another ble library?

Philip Prins

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am also interesting for retrieving the RSSI during BLE discovery.
Is this possible with this or another ble library?

I found a library that can do this;
B4X:
Sub BLE_DeviceFound (Name As String, MacAddress As String,rssi As Int, scanRecord() As Byte)
   Dim i As Int
   Dim sBatt As String = "0", sTemp As String = "0", sHumidity As String = "0"
   For i = 0 To scanRecord.Length -1
       If (i+7 < scanRecord.Length) Then
           If (scanRecord(i) = 7 AND scanRecord(i+1) = 22 AND scanRecord(i+2) = 0 AND scanRecord(i+3) = -80) Then
           'scanRecord[i]==0x07 && scanRecord[i+1]==0x16 && scanRecord[i+2]==0x00 && scanRecord[i+3]==0xB0
                   sBatt = scanRecord(i+7)
                sHumidity = scanRecord(i+6)
                sTemp = scanRecord(i+5)
            End If
       End If
   Next
   ListView1.AddTwoLines2(Name,rssi & " dBm: batt " & sBatt & " %: temp " & sTemp & " c: humi " & sHumidity & " %", MacAddress)
   'manager.Connect(MacAddress, True)
End Sub

Attachments

• BLEManager_RSSI_Batt.zip
    243.2 KB · Views: 308