Share My Creation Burn Stuff

This is my first ever app of any kind and I've enjoyed creating it muchly :)

My rationale was:
- To create on a platform without too much outlay.
- To create something without too much coding to keep the timescales short.
- Give enough time to the non-coding aspects such as marketing.
- Investigate the best way to make money out of an app.
- Have fun doing it!

I originally released a 'paid only' version of the app but that didn't seem too sucessful and it was a bit of an anti-climax as it only managed 5 downloads in two weeks :( I've since released a free version which has managed just over 500 downloads in a week. I haven't included ads, instead it just includes popups and links to the paid version. This has given me another 6 downloads in a week which still isn't 'awesome' but that's not really the point of my first app. It's interesting finding out what works and what doesn't work and what helps with more downloads etc.

My outlay has been:
- B4a (was on offer for 2 months of free updates) $39
- Android Market Fees $25
- Android Phone (didn't have one, bought a PAYG HTC Wildfire) £99

So I'm someway from recovering my costs! My wife helpfully suggested I could recover them much more quickly just by selling the phone! Obviously she's no nerd and doesn't understand the fun (obsession) of checking your download stats everyday (minute)!!

Based on SSG's post here I'm planning to make a game next and see how that goes. One thing I do like about apps is once they're out there they seem to be 'eternal' and may be downloaded loads over the course of time :)

It goes without saying that b4a is an awesome tool. My day job is VB.NET (and VB 4, 5, 6 before that) and I've found it very easy to transfer my skills. The libraries such as the camera and phone orientation are ridiculously easy to use. I'm sure I'll be extending my licence soon.

Thanks for everyone's help to get started.

My app is on the market here:
Burn Stuff

Description from Market:
Take a picture of something and set it on fire! Why not? It's fun :)
This is the modern answer to modern problems... Is work annoying you? Take a photo of it and burn it! You'll feel much better and there's no harm done :)

Features:
+ Take a picture of something stressful and burn it!
+ Or choose a picture from the gallery and burn that.
+ Touch the screen to start a fire.
+ Flames always go 'up' when you rotate your phone.
+ Keeping flames alive makes them get bigger and burn faster.
+ Long lived flames create more flames.
+ Swipe the screen to leave a trail of fire.

Burn Stuff is part of the 'Stuff' range of apps. More coming soon...

Enjoy :)

:wav:

Attachments

• MainMenu.jpg
    MainMenu.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 10,947
Last edited:

ssg

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Biscuit (delicious name there),

Great app you made there!

I wish you all the best in achieving success with B4A. I believe adding ads will truly benefit you, as I doubt I would have made over $400 in 2 months from selling apps (they're all from ads)...

Do keep us posted of the game you're planning to release and we'll help with some of the initial downloads :D

Cheers!

Biscuit

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi ssg

Thanks for your comments.

I have thought about ads as it seems to be more the way apps work on Android but haven't got around to adding them yet. For starters I just went for advertising the paid version. I find it amazing/fascinating how hard it is to convince people to part with a very small amount of money...

You get a lot of useful stats from Google but one thing you don't get is how much people are actually using your app. I can see with your (or any) game that the amount of time spent playing it would be reasonably large and ads would then work better. I don't think Burn Stuff is a long term app really, just a bit of fun so I'm less sure of ads but who knows...

Are you able to share any stats on ads in terms of how many clicks per day and/or how much you make per click? It would be be really interesting stuff to know. Also do you have a feel (sorry, not trying to steal all your secrets) of where it's best to place ads within an app? I've not used ads ever before so I have no idea really as to the numbers required to make some decent money.

I found this to be an interesting read about releasing an app/game:
Replica Island: Replica Island: One Month On

Oh also, if anyone wants to post a 5* review of Burn Stuff please feel free :D I'll download Math Genius when I get home and have a play :)

ssg

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Biscuit,

I agree that ads is more the way to go with android, i've heard/read lost of people moving to android due to the free software that you can get. So do the ads thing :D

I do not think all games are long term. If you can make one which would last long term, that would be great, really. I probably only have angry birds as a long term game on my phone. Your app, if I had it free :p would be a long term app as I can have fun with it anytime.

I do not mind sharing anything at all about the ads. I cant disclose the exacts, I believe it is against the terms laid out by Admob. Let me share it in a more general point (rounded figures), and these figures are very different between individuals:

1 - It takes about 30k requests a day to get an average of above $20.
2 - 30k ads generated between 500-600 clicks.
3 - 20k ads a day got me about $12-ish.
4 - Enable adsense ads within admob for better fill rate
5 - It looks like the description you write when you create an ad account reflects the type of ads adsense will give you (my soccer ball game often has lytox ball ads.. nothing to do with soccer!!)
6 - ads placement, at the bottom of screen will generate more "accidental clicks" :D but ads placement on the top of screen gives more visibility. I've heard placing ads at intervals (like on a stage loading screen) gives even better results.

Hope the above comes in handy!

Replica Island is a very nice game.. and yes he has a nice write up on how he started off. Very interesting read.

Cheers! and do share with us how your ads perform!

Biscuit

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi ssg

Thanks for your reply and the info about ads. From looking at the market, you clearly have loads of apps - I'm impressed! With the figures above, are you talking about the total from all of your apps (I guess you are?)?

I will get ads in the next release of my free app if I ever find the time...

ssg

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Biscuit,

lol... Loads of apps? they r the same apps with a different "skin" :p no harm in doing it that way i guess...

the above details are from totals of all apps... as your apps get more popular, you get more daily downloads, and your revenue grows too...

be aware that there seems to be some problem with google's search algorithm for the market app, causing searches from in-app to return totally different output from searches on the web market. give both a try, search with any keyword and do the comparison.

heated discussion going on here:
Search engine is providing poor and inconsistent results! - Android Market Help

Biscuit

Licensed User
Longtime User
Oh yeah, I meant to say loads of "app" ;-)

I never would have thought of making a load of apps from the same idea and my brain is still saying it shouldn't work... But then I look at your download numbers and it obviously does!!

I'm viewing apps much like playing the lottery, you've got to be in it to win it and who knows, one of them might just hit the jackpot :)

I've noticed the Market being different from the Web loads of times, mostly when I was addictively checking my download numbers. The Market seems to be updated more often and is usually better than the web. Not good for Google though, if they can't search well, what else do they do...

ssg

Licensed User
Longtime User
well yeah, being a lone developer and badly lacking in the art part, you do what you can.

there r 2 ways to go about with this, either you make 1 BIG MEGAHIT game.. or you make lotsa smaller ones...

yes, some of the games downloads have been quite good... BallTapp has over 8k downloads, Tennis Tapp on the other hand hit 5k downloads in less than 2 weeks...

thats why i've mentioned before that the growth from admob has been great... but the recent issue with the searches has made my daily downloads go down quite a lot... and i've not been earning as much as i was prior to july.

i did a little experiment over the weekend, and well, having ads DURING gameplay returns you a whole lot more in revenue than only having them in menu screens... heck angry birds has ads during games....

yeah, your idea abt the lottery is right... hmm... never tot of lottery that way.. but it makes sense... lol!

cheers!

Last edited: