Android Question Can B4A share the same Android folder that Visual Studio uses?

pjetson

Licensed User
Longtime User
Visual Studio puts its Android files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Android and the arrangement of folders and sub-folders seems the same as the B4A installation instructions describe, but it appears that many of the files in the B4A sdk-tools-windows-nnnnn.zip and resources.zip files will overwrite some or all of the Visual Studio files.

Has anyone actually done this (and did it work?), or does B4A need its own separate Android folder?

Peter

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Do NOT use the same SDK for Android Studio and B4A.

Upvote 0

pjetson

Licensed User
Longtime User
@pjetson, you do really mean Visual Studio? Are you developing with Xamarin?
Yes, the computer I was discussing has Visual Studio on it already, and yes, it is used with Xamarin.

I wanted to know if I could use the android files that were already installed on the computer, or whether B4A had to have a second set of android files just for itself. Don settled that with his answer, so I downloaded and installed a second set of files. Everything works, it just seems a shame to need two sets of android files, since they're about half a gig in size.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Frankie Lagrange

Licensed User
@pjetson, I was asking because I too develop with Visual Studio (VS) and Xamarin, as well as with B4A, and my IDEs are sharing the same sdk. I changed VS Android option to point to the same SDK as B4A and have encountered no issue, so far.

@DonManfred misread your post and wrote Android Studio, and did not explain why SDKs should not be shared. So, @DonManfred, do you mind elaborating on your answer?

Upvote 0