Android Question Can editting of an edittext field be disabled?

kostefar

Licensed User
Longtime User
Dear All,

I know.. sounds like a weird question but the reason is as follows: Under some circumstances, an edittext field in my app should be editable by the user, and under other circumstances, it should just be static, like a label, and show what´s been entered by the user earlier.
So why not replace it with a label? Well, if I define a label with the exact same position, font, etc.etc., also in the designer and on the same activity which contains the same text, the label appears about 5-10 % further to the left than the edittext box would have done.
I first thought the problem was inserting it with code, but when using the designer instead, the result was no different.
This is a problem because it needs to allign with other edittext fields in the layout. I could of course just try to push it some 5-10 % more to the right, but I have the feeling that it will not necessarily look that way on all devices.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…