Android Question Can not start B4A Sdk Manager

Lee Gillie CCP

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have been away from mobile development for a few years. The customer is buying new tablets for the app created, and screen aspect ratio is messed up. We updated to B4A 9.8, and have been working to target API 28.

Compiler gives us this error:
B4X:
Generating R file.    Error
ERROR: In <declare-styleable> ColorStateListItem, unable to find attribute android:lStar

Thinking this must be wanting some updates in the B4A Sdk Manager, but that is giving us fits as well. Going from 26 to 28 gives us this error / these errors when attempting to start the B4A Sdk Manager.

Capture.PNG

We did try to create a new hello world, and this compiled and ran just fine. This says our basic install is good.

We are using an old package from Star/Epson to do do tablet printing to a register type printer, and I am suspicious of that. But no update is available for it, and staff assures me the customer is still using the printers in the field.

We are hopelessly lost. Our unique B4A skills are not what they were a few years ago.

Thanks for any advisements.
Best regards - Lee

Last edited:

Brian Dean

Licensed User
Longtime User
You should start with a complete reinstall of B4A as though you were a new user, including the sdk installs. This will ensure that you are working with a compatible set of parts. You should never need to use the sdk manager unless you have a specific need that you fully understand.

Upvote 0

Lee Gillie CCP

Licensed User
Longtime User
Android SDK should NOT be placed under programm files. This is a big mistake.

Delete your SDK. Install a new one.

Follow the installation instructions CAREFULLY: https://www.b4x.com/b4a.html
It will just work.
Thank you for this. It was not possible to resurrect our original environment. A complete reinstall of Java and Android was needed to make this work. We are back in business, which is really great.

Upvote 0