Cannot start B4PP anymore on desktop: "A problem was encountered"

Frank

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi there,
I have used B4PPC for over a year now with no problems.
In the last weeks I didn't use it (too much other stuff), but when I wanted to start it yesterday on my PC, it didn't even start up. Instead I got an error message "Basic4PPC encountered a problem and must be terminated" (or similar; freely translated from my German message).

I use Windows XP and B4PP V6.50. Un- and reinstalling B4PPC didn't help.

B4PPC programs that I compiled for PC still run on the PC, so I don't think it's a problem with the .Net-version.

I somehow fear that it might be related to Microsoft Visual Studio 2008, which I installed recently - I just cannot remember if I used B4PP on the desktop after the installation or not.

Does anyone have an idea what might be going wrong here? How can I check which files/dlls/resources I need when starting up B4PPC?

Thanks for any help.

Frank

Last edited:

Frank

Licensed User
Longtime User
Re: license.txt

Well, there is a file license.txt in the same folder where also the Dbasic.exe is.
I haven't explicitly copied it there, as I installed B4PPC once (I think it was Version 5.30) and upgraded ever since... - but it's there.

Mr_Gee

Licensed User
Longtime User
Strangely enough I had the same issue last sunday on my laptop,
I removed the application (through windows remove programs)
next I deleted the program directory
dowloaded the application, and reinstalled it again

It gave me an error "licence.txt not found" so I copy pasted the file in the
B4PPC directory and it worked..

Hopefully it will work for you too ..

ps. I don't have MSVis.Studio installed on this PC, but i did have it on another PC for a while and B4PPC did play nice with other applications
SharpDevelop/Vis.Studio etc.

Last edited:

Frank

Licensed User
Longtime User
It worked!

It worked! Uninstalled B4PPC from Windows Control Panel, reinstalled and copied licence file back - and now it runs again.

Thanks for your help,

Frank