Android Question Can't make Auto Suggest Disappear

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Note: Tested this last night before @Erel posted, bust somehow forgot to hit "Post Reply". Strange thing is, it worked as posted without @Erel's suggestion. Here's the post:
------------------------

Auto suggest is off, but I'm testing it in an emulator.

B4A 7.3
On Windows10 Pro
Api level 24

Upvote 0

MrKim

Licensed User
Longtime User
Note: Tested this last night before @Erel posted, bust somehow forgot to hit "Post Reply". Strange thing is, it worked as posted without @Erel's suggestion. Here's the post:
------------------------

Auto suggest is off, but I'm testing it in an emulator.

B4A 7.3
On Windows10 Pro
Api level 24
This works:
B4X:
ValueTxt.InputType = Bit.Or(128, Bit.Or(ValueTxt.InputType, 524288)) 'VARIATION_PASSWORD, NO_SUGGESTION
Erel - you are a genius!:):):):).
This got rid of the Auto Suggest AND gave me the numeric keys in its place! I love you!

Upvote 0

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
This got rid of the Auto Suggest AND gave me the numeric keys in its place!
Oh, now I get it. You were not just interested in turning Auto-Suggestion off (what 524288 does), but to make the Auto-Suggestion field/bar/strip disappear (what 524288 does not do). Out of curiosity, I did try just
B4X:
ValueTxt.InputType = Bit.Or(ValueTxt.InputType, 128) 'VARIATION_PASSWORD
and it seems to produce the same effect of not displaying Auto-Suggestion box (completely gone). As to the numeric keys (numeric/accented letters), they exist in all versions for me (be it no usage of Bit.Or or Bit.Or with with 524288 by itself, combo 524288 and 128, and 128 by itself). What I don't know is if this (just 128 by itself) works across API Levels (as noted above, I'm using 24).

Upvote 0

MrKim

Licensed User
Longtime User
Oh, now I get it. You were not just interested in turning Auto-Suggestion off (what 524288 does), but to make the Auto-Suggestion field/bar/strip disappear (what 524288 does not do). Out of curiosity, I did try just
B4X:
ValueTxt.InputType = Bit.Or(ValueTxt.InputType, 128) 'VARIATION_PASSWORD
and it seems to produce the same effect of not displaying Auto-Suggestion box (completely gone). As to the numeric keys (numeric/accented letters), they exist in all versions for me (be it no usage of Bit.Or or Bit.Or with with 524288 by itself, combo 524288 and 128, and 128 by itself). What I don't know is if this (just 128 by itself) works across API Levels (as noted above, I'm using 24).
On my Samsung Phone Numerics are always there, above the alpha. On other devices they are not. I actually had two problems I wanted to resolve. There are cases where I need to remove the Auto-Suggest, There is another case (in another post, actually) where I was asking about opening the STANDARD full keyboard, but having it open with numeric portion showing rather than the Alpha. Reason: 90% of the time Alpha is all our customers need. Having ALpha AND numeric on the same page is actually much better. I am a happy man.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Having ALpha AND numeric on the same page is actually much better.
So does just 128 work for this or are both the 524288 and the 128 required to achieve this on the various devices?

Upvote 0

MrKim

Licensed User
Longtime User
So does just 128 work for this or are both the 524288 and the 128 required to achieve this on the various devices?
Don't know, care but I don't have time to experiment. The above works so I am using it.

Upvote 0

MrKim

Licensed User
Longtime User
One thing I found - I actually have two separate issues. One is to turn off Auto suggest, The other is to display the numeric keys when the keyboard opens. The code Erel posted above handles both of these things. It replaces the Auto Suggest with numbers.
But it also makes the EditText a Password Box (*****).

This can be resolved by using the line above and following it with

B4X:
ValueTxt.PasswordMode = False

Upvote 0

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
To have it all with just bit or'ing:
B4X:
ValueTxt.InputType = Bit.Or(ValueTxt.InputType, 144) 'VARIATION_VISIBLE_PASSWORD

Upvote 0

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0