B4R Question Choosing the correct Power Supply?

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
hi

i am working on a project that includes 3 stepper motors with an L298n driver for each motor.

i am connecting all motors to a external power supply 12v - 3A.
what i get is that if i move 1 stepper motor it works fine if i try to move another one arduino is shutting down and again on.
and again if i move another stepper motor it works fine as long as i try to move the second motor it shuts down and again on (light gets dim and again normal) so my first thinking was
there is not enough current flowing so i wanted to order a 12v - 5A power supply but i have another power supply where i can set the voltage

this one:

it is a 3-24v with 3A power supply.

so i tried to set a lower voltage and to my surprise if i set between 6-7 volt i can move all 3 stepper motors if i set lower then 6 or higher then 7 again it shuts down if i try to move more then 1 stepper motor.

why is it like that? is it the arudino that shuts down the motors because the high amperage?
i know that the motors can run with 12 volts and the l298 also so i don't think it is the voltage that makes the problem i think the 3A is to high. am i right?
should i try a 12v with 2A?

this is the stepper motor i use:

and this is the l298n driver:

thanx

Last edited:

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
i found a nice tutorial: https://www.makerguides.com/drv8825-stepper-motor-driver-arduino-tutorial/
i have checked it out but could not find much difference from what i did.
only the part with current i did not as in the tutorial i just connected it and tried to rotate the current screw from right to left 😁

btw i use a arduino nano (i guess a fake one from ali express) i also have an arduino uno and mega that are original. the mega is now assembled with the l298 drivers and motors so i dont want to use it for this test i will try to use the UNO.

Upvote 0

Mark Read

Licensed User
Longtime User
only the part with current i did not as in the tutorial i just connected it and tried to rotate the current screw from right to left

Sorry but this is a must. If you do not do this you risk damaging the DVR and/or the motor!!

Upvote 0

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Sorry but this is a must. If you do not do this you risk damaging the DVR and/or the motor!!
ok thanx i will go step by step with the tutorial and see if it helps.

btw i see that you are from Leoben Austria. It looks really really nice. I lived for about 16 years in Vienna and my family still live there. Austria is very beautiful.

(Ich hab jetzt Lust bekommen Leoben zu besuchen. Es schaut wirklich super aus dort und erholend. Ich liebe die Natur und finde es ist wichtig mal etwas Luft zu schnappen ohne CO2 :) )

Upvote 0

Mark Read

Licensed User
Longtime User
ok thanx i will go step by step with the tutorial and see if it helps.

btw i see that you are from Leoben Austria. It looks really really nice. I lived for about 16 years in Vienna and my family still live there. Austria is very beautiful.

(Ich hab jetzt Lust bekommen Leoben zu besuchen. Es schaut wirklich super aus dort und erholend. Ich liebe die Natur und finde es ist wichtig mal etwas Luft zu schnappen ohne CO2 :) )
Kannst gern kommen. Werden wir sicher ein oder zwei Bier finden!

Upvote 0

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
ok, so i made more tests and i followed carefully the tutorial. i connected everything as in the tutorial (accept of the pins to the arduino) i have set the current (0.5v and also tried 1.0v) but same results. i thought maybe the driver was damaged so i changed to a different driver and same results so i thought maybe the motor was damaged so i connected it to a L298n and it works fine. i tried again with arduino IDE but same results.

the only thing that is different in my circuit is that i use a 12v 2A power supply and a 1000uf capacitor. i ordered 100uf capacitors and i will try again when they arrive but i doubt it has something to do with the capacitor.

anyway thanx for your help i guess i will stay with the L298n driver.

Upvote 0