Android Code Snippet Combining a Fontawesome Icon And Text on a View Using Richstring

Description:
Erel’s recent code snippet regarding Material Icons and Richtsring inspired me to write the following snippet combining a FontAwesome Icon, text and Richstring to put text on a label, button, edittext, etc. The following code which can be enhanced, is the entire project:

B4X:
Sub Globals
    Private Label1 As Label
    Private lblFontAwesomeIcon As Label
End Sub

Sub Activity_Create(FirstTime As Boolean)
    Activity.loadlayout("1")  'layout has 2 labels: Label1 and lblFontAwesomeIcon
    Label1.Typeface = lblFontAwesomeIcon.Typeface   'lblFontAwesomeIcon must have fontawesome Typeface. Can be invisible.
    Label1.text = FontAwesomeIconsWithRichString("0xF0B2", "B4A Takes You Anywhere!", 2.75)
End Sub

Sub Activity_Resume
End Sub

Sub Activity_Pause (UserClosed As Boolean)
    If UserClosed Then Activity.Finish
End Sub

Sub FontAwesomeIconsWithRichString(HexCode As String, Text As String, IconRelativeSize As Float) As RichString
    Dim rs As RichString
    HexCode=HexCode.Replace("0x","")
    Dim intHC As Int = Bit.ParseInt(HexCode, 16)
    rs.Initialize($"{SIZE2}{C}${Chr(intHC)}  {C}{SIZE2}{B}${Text}{B}"$)
    rs.RelativeSize2(IconRelativeSize,"{SIZE2}")
    rs.Color2(Colors.Cyan,"{C}")
    rs.Style2(rs.STYLE_BOLD_ITALIC,"{B}")
    Return rs
End Sub
Tags: Richstring, Fontawesome
Dependency: Richstring Library (that’s all)

Attachments

• FontAwesomeRichstring.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 806

Mahares

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm not sure why this code is needed

Actually, this snippet is part of a larger project where I create a SQLite database with 4 columns: fontCode, FontawesomeICon, Description and IconCategory. The data from 776 records is then displayed on a listview, where the item click of any record is automatically transferred to the textview in question:
txt="CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS " & DBTableName & " (HEX_CODE TEXT, FONT_NAME TEXT, CATEGORY TEXT,HEX_ICON BLOB, " _
& " PRIMARY KEY (HEX_CODE, FONT_NAME))"
The data is imported from a text file into the SQLite table where the HEX_CODE is converted to HEX_ICON.
B4X:
Sub MyLV_ItemClick (Position As Int, Value As Object)   'MyLV is a listview
    Dim strArray() As String = Regex.Split(",",Value)
    btnFA.text = FontAwesomeIconsWithRichString(strArray(0), strArray(1) & TAB & TAB & strArray(2), 2.75)
End Sub
See picture below for the listview layout and item click result.

Attachments

• FontAwesomeDatabase.png
    85.8 KB · Views: 754

Mahares

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Read it too fast.. (thought it was Material Icon combined with a text font)
Sorry for wasting your 'Like'. I owe you a 'Like' the next time you publish a code snippet. If you read my post#4, you will see why I created it. After all, that is why it is called a code snippet. It does not tell the whole story. There is no icon picker involved here. It is all via code.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…