Android Question Community Level AR (EasyAR) Library Project

walterf25

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all, I have been wanting to wrap an AR library for some time now, i have tried several of the SDKs out there without much success, recently someone posted a question about an SDK called EasyAR, I took a look at it and decided to give it a try, i have been working on it for a little over 2 weeks now, I have a lot of the classes wrapped up and tried re-creating their HelloAR example which only shows a 3D rendering of a cube.

You will need to create an account, sign in and create a new project with the same package name as the B4A project in order to receive a Key which needs to be used to Initialize the SDK, The examples can be downloaded once you sign up as well.

I have decided to create this post because I started thinking that it would probably be much easier and faster if a group of us could work together in finishing wrapping up this library, I am by no means a Java expert, i am taking an advanced class in college but again, i am far from being an expert.

What i have wrapped so far seems to work fine as far as I can tell, at least I don't see any crashes, the code compiles just fine and the app launches, however I have been breaking my head over the last couple of days as I can't see the camera preview, I have gone over the original HelloAR example's code and comparing it to the code I have in B4A which essentially is the same thing but wrapped up.

I compiled the original example in Android Studio and ran it on my Samsung Galaxy s10+ and the example works fine, the camera preview opens up and I can point the camera at one of the example images and when it is detected the colored cube gets rendered on the screen.

When I run the example in B4A with the wrapped library I have so far, I can hear the camera opening, in fact I have a lot of logs checking whether the camera is opened or if any other errors occurred but I always see that the camera is in fact opened, but for some reason the preview is not showing, I can see the screen going from gray to black, which is also the case in the original example with the exception that the camera preview is not started.

I guess what I wanted to ask is if anyone else in the forums with enough experience in wrapping up Java libraries is interested in taking a look, I can upload the code I have to gitHub so that maybe a few of us can work together and wrap the rest of the classes and release it to the forums when is ready, as I mentioned I am currently taking some college classes and don't really have much time, besides i'm already at a dead end in trying to figure out what's causing the cam preview issue, the only thing I see in one of the logs is a vertshader error, but it doesn't give me any hint as to what exactly the issue could be.

If anyone is interested and has the time, please let me know, I will send you a link to where the files can be downloaded and we can start merging our work together, if anyone else has a better idea of a better AR library we can also get started on that.

Regards,
Walter

Brandsum

Licensed User
I have tried EasyAR a few months ago. I had the same problem with the camera and after some moment I managed to show the camera preview but the app crashed after the first frame.

Upvote 0

walterf25

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have tried EasyAR a few months ago. I had the same problem with the camera and after some moment I managed to show the camera preview but the app crashed after the first frame.
What problem did you have with the camera, was it the preview not showing up, and how did you manage to get it to work?

Maybe we can merge our projects together?

Walter

Upvote 0

Brandsum

Licensed User
What problem did you have with the camera

Sorry but I neither have those logs nor the project. But as much as I can remember I was having some error log while opening back camera. Then I followed a tutorial got from google search. But after first frame the app crashed. Then I tried Vuforia in Unity and it worked great.

Upvote 0

walterf25

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Sorry but I neither have those logs nor the project. But as much as I can remember I was having some error log while opening back camera. Then I followed a tutorial got from google search. But after first frame the app crashed. Then I tried Vuforia in Unity and it worked great.
Bummer, as I mentioned I know the camera is working because I can see it in the logs, but for some reason I can't see the preview, I've been thinking about Vuforia for quiete some time as well, eventually what I would love is to get something working for B4A.

Walter

Upvote 0