B4R Question Complying With B4R License

R_906

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi:

I am not a lawyer but I want to make sure I fully comply with the B4R license. I plan to develop and sell boards that will be running B4R code in the flash of a ESP8266. I only plan to use B4R software and libraries that are included with the B4R download(MIT License). Again it will only be a binary distribution in flash memory.

Do I have to:

Open source my entire project or any of it?
List the Anywhere Software copyright, and if so where?
Provide the source of the B4R libraries I use?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rob

R_906

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel:

If I am just using the B4R environment with a Espressif ESP8266, how is Arduino involved at all? I only plan to use your libraries that are included in the B4R install download. I am confused.

Rob

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Also you need to understand that some libraries are just wrappers for Arduino libs, some of which may have different types of license. You will need to study those licenses individually and use those who suites your needs best, license wise.

Upvote 0

R_906

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi:

Thank you Erel, tigrot, and cableguy for your help.

I was not aware of this. If I don't use their official boards in my product, will I have to open source everything that I do?.

Rob

Upvote 0

R_906

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi tigrot:

I think you may be right. The Arduino site says I do not have to release the source if I just use the Arduino core and libraries(I think that's all I will be using?) but it says I must make available object files for re-linking to newer versions of Arduino. I am not sure how to do this.

Rob

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think they mean the compiled files for uploading using newer IDE versions... It may not apply to your case, but to be in the safe side, why not send an email describing your objective and product type so that they, the Arduino creators, can clarify you in all those details?

Upvote 0

R_906

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Cableguy:

Yes. I think I will do that. All of this licensing stuff is very confusing.

Thanks, Rob

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The issue here is not the hardware but the right to sell a closed solution based on an open-source platform...

Upvote 0

R_906

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi:

Why does many open source solutions support only certain hardware through the use of closed source boot-loaders, binary-blobs, or cryptic reset circuits. I personally have had this issue on many projects.

Rob

Last edited:
Upvote 0

techknight

Licensed User
Longtime User
They never rise laws questions. This of Arduino is a way to promote Atmel micros. They have to fight with Microchip supporters. I use them both and I don't care.

Which doesn't even matter anymore considering they are both Microchip, same company. Atmel got swallowed. Not quite digested yet, but I am sure its coming.

Upvote 0