Android Question Connect a printer via bluetooth without any PIN?

jonas4

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi there,
I want to connect a zebra mobile (thermal) printer to my android smartphone via Bluetooth. The printer does not have any PIN, authentication is set to "off". The device is found, but when I try to connect, android opens a dialog for entering the PIN, where one has to type in something before OK-button is enabled. This produces an error. I tried it with the code given in the Android Serial example. Is there any possibility to pass by the PIN Dialog or to submit an "empty" PIN?
Thanks.

jonas4

Licensed User
Longtime User
Have you tried to manually pair the device with the printer?
If you meant by manually for example the pairing process provided by the smartphone's bluetooth settings, yes. Even other apps, like zebra utilities, lead me to the dialog where I have to type in the PIN and where I have to enter at least one character.

Upvote 0

jonas4

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, I did, but none of them worked. Zebra says that there is not any Pin preprogrammed. http://bit.ly/1asm9Nd May be it would be a good way to change the PIN to any value by using a serial cable connection, and the try again. What's your opinion?

Upvote 0

jonas4

Licensed User
Longtime User
Different Android version worked not. PIN with at least one character required. I did it the other way: I connected the printer with a cable to the COM1 Serial Interface of a PC. Then I ran Zebra's "Label Vista" program, which supplies some printer setup tools, such as "Bluetooth settings". I changed the PIN to "0000". Now the pairing process works and printing from Basic4Android gets possible.

Upvote 0