B4J Question Connecting to MS SQL Timeout

Patrick Clark

Licensed User
Hi

I am trying to connect to a MS SQL server.

I have the
B4X:
    #AdditionalJar: jtds-1.3.1.jar
along with the jar file in Additional Libraries

With SMSS I can connect with 192.168.1.145\SQLEXPRESS where I have a database called test

if I try and connect with
B4X:
    Private SQL1 As SQL  'in Class Globals or Process Globals

SQL1.Initialize2("net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver", "jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://192.168.1.145/SQLEXPRESS/test", "user", "password")

I get the following timeout error in the logs.

Any ideas?

java.sql.SQLException: Network error IOException: Connection timed out: connect
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.JtdsConnection.<init>(JtdsConnection.java:436)
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver.connect(Driver.java:184)
at java.sql/java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:677)
at java.sql/java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:228)
at anywheresoftware.b4j.objects.SQL.Initialize2(SQL.java:58)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:566)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.shell.Shell.runVoidMethod(Shell.java:676)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.shell.Shell.raiseEventImpl(Shell.java:240)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.shell.Shell.raiseEvent(Shell.java:167)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:566)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.BA.raiseEvent2(BA.java:91)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.shell.ShellBA.raiseEvent2(ShellBA.java:98)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.BA.raiseEvent(BA.java:78)
at b4j.example.main.start(main.java:38)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.lambda$launchApplication1$9(LauncherImpl.java:846)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runAndWait$12(PlatformImpl.java:455)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runLater$10(PlatformImpl.java:428)
at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runLater$11(PlatformImpl.java:427)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.glass.ui.InvokeLaterDispatcher$Future.run(InvokeLaterDispatcher.java:96)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinApplication._runLoop(Native Method)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinApplication.lambda$runLoop$3(WinApplication.java:174)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:834)
Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect
at java.base/java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect0(Native Method)
at java.base/java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:101)
at java.base/java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.doConnect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:399)
at java.base/java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:242)
at java.base/java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:224)
at java.base/java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:403)
at java.base/java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:591)
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.SharedSocket.createSocketForJDBC3(SharedSocket.java:288)
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.SharedSocket.<init>(SharedSocket.java:251)
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.JtdsConnection.<init>(JtdsConnection.java:331)
... 28 more

EnriqueGonzalez

Licensed User
Longtime User
After you migrate instead of using /sql express use :1433 (open tcp port in sql server configuration manager)

Upvote 0

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Use the MS SQL JDBC driver as suggest by @Enrique Gonzalez R . As to the JDBC driver and JDBC URL, you could try
B4X:
SQL1.Initialize2("com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver", "jdbc:sqlserver://192.168.1.145;databaseName=test", "user", "password")

for more information on how to construct the JDBC URL for the MS SQL JDBC driver, see:

If you use the default port of 1433, you usually don't have to included it in the URL. The same goes for the instance name (as per above provided link).

Upvote 0