Connecting USB barcode scanner

CurtisC

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am trying to connect an external USB barcode scanner and noticed the soft keyboard would not appear while the scanner was connected. So I am assuming the external scanner is seen as an IME. I read that IMEs are not recognized with the USB Host. Yet using IME I can not get anything from a scan to a EditText. Am I wrong about using the IME or how to read the scanner to the IME?

CurtisC

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you Erel

Yes I tried an EditText similar to the IME tutorial. The EditText seems to react as if the cursor was centering but no text. I assume the barcode is read as a whole rather than individual characters. Could that cause a problem for an EditText.

Upvote 0

CurtisC

Licensed User
Longtime User
Once you said an EditText should work my question turned to why not now So I exchanged the scanner and the EditText worked.

Another question though, will show and hide keyboard enable and disable the wand? How do I prevent the HandleAction from working whenever the scanner is used.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Another question though, will show and hide keyboard enable and disable the wand?
You will need to test it.

How do I prevent the HandleAction from working whenever the scanner is used.
If the scanner is sending an Enter keystroke then the event will be raised. It is not different than any other input method.

Upvote 0