B4J Library CreateHTMLPage easy logging of data

For those like me, that are always looking for easy solutions for logging or dumping data, this library will create an html page and display it in your default browser from one or more lists or arrays or csv.

1683270531513.png

At it's simplest you can add a list of arrays or lists using:

B4X:
Dim CP As HTMLPage
CP.Initialize
CP.AddTable.FromList(L)
CP.ShowPage

And you will get something like the first image below.

But you can also add css, tell it there is a header row, add column and row numbers add a title and create highlights for values or ranges in the table columns:

B4X:
Dim CP As HTMLPage
    CP.Initialize

Dim CSS As String = $"${Addl_CSS.FontSansSerif}
${Addl_CSS.TableHeadersBold}
${Addl_CSS.PositionCloseButton("","50px","","50px","150px","75px","1.25em")}
    #tbl1 .row-num{background-color:lightgray;}
    #tbl1 .col-num{background-color:lightgray;}
"$
    CP.CSS(CSS)

CP.AddTable.FromList(L).Id("tbl1").HasHeader.Highlight(3,HTMLPage_Static.HIGHLIGHT_BETWEEN,"yellow",0,2500) _
    .ColumnNumbers(0).RowNumbers.Title("Dump of data table")
    CP.FileName(File.DirTemp,"test1.html").ShowPage

And get something like the second image. In addition you can filter the selected values within the range to get the 3rd image. You can also specify where the file is stored before it is sent to your default browser.

fig a
1683271498218.png
1683271999532.png

You can pass a list of arrays, or a multidimension array, or a list of types or a delimited text file and it will display a table.

The tables have default CSS which you can tell it to ignore and add your own, or just add extra. There is also some useful CSS in the Addl_CSS module that you can plug in (see the code example above).

There are a lot of options, so download it and give it a try.

If you want to create more than one page at a time, use a separate instance of HTMLPage and give it a different filename, otherwise the file may be overwritten before it is displayed. The default file is saved to the File.DirTemp directory with the name CreateHTMLPage.html. If you want to save the page, you should be able to do that from the browser or you can call GetHTML on the HTMLPage and save the result to an .html file..

External Dependencies
jReflection

The project creates a small in memory SQLite database so you need one of the sqlite-jdbc jar versions in your library and change the #AdditionaJar directive in the Main module to match.

Notes

There are a couple of SQL utilities in the project to create a list from a ResultSet that are not added to the library as I didn't want to make SQLite a dependency for the library.

You could also get the HTML from the HTMLPage class and display it in a Webview instead of calling the Show method.

Running the project will create 3 web pages demonstrating different functions.

Updates
v0.2 - added data-cell class as appropriate.
added MakeScrollable to Addl_Css
added DontShowClose to HTMLPage
Fixed some inaccurate comments
moved css required for filter hits and it is always added if filtering is requested.
added SyncScroll for tables. Works best when the tables have the same number of rows.
added Classes col-num-row and header-row for more flexibility.
fixed a bug in the hit highlighting relating to the first row on a table without column numbers.

I hope you find it useful, let me know how you get on with it.

Attachments

• CreateHTMLPagev0.2.zip
    18.1 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
This is an example of the HTML generated and shows the default id's and classes that are available:

1683315672580.png
for table:
1683315844424.png
V0.2 now has added classes col-num-row and header-row for more flexibility. And the non header or column number cells have a class of data-cell.

Last edited:

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Updates
v0.2 - added data-cell class as appropriate.
added MakeScrollable to Addl_Css
added DontShowClose to HTMLPage
Fixed some inaccurate comments
moved css required for filter hits and it is always added if filtering is requested.
added SyncScroll for tables. Works best when the tables have the same number of rows.
added Classes col-num-row and header-row for more flexibility.
fixed a bug in the hit highlighting relating to the first row on a table without column numbers.

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
And an extra snippet to attach the column number row and header row to the top of the page when scrolling a table:

B4X:
.col-num-row{position:sticky;top:-1px;}
.header-row{position:sticky;top:21px;}
.header-row,.col-num-row{background-color:lightgray;}

The actual top positions will vary dependant on the height of your rows. The gap between the column number row and the header row needs to be closed as otherwise you can see the table scrolling between them, which is very off putting. Likewise, setting the top of the col-num-row to -1 (or header-row if you don't have column numbers) stops the scrolling being visible above it. Again very off putting.

Last edited:

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I created this report in very quick time this afternoon from my family history mySQL database. Mostly because I didn't have to create a layout, and could actually visualize the data while working on it.